Immobiliser playing tricks??? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-04-2006
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Immobiliser playing tricks???

Popped up to the local shop this arvo, jumped out ('98 JGC) & hit the lock button on the remote. Nothing happened so locked with the key. Came back, pressed the unlock and again nothing happened - so unlocked with the key. Jumped in, pressed the unlock on the remote again - nothing, tried starting the car - usual trick, if the immobiliser isn't disengaged it only fires for a couple of seconds & dies. Hmmm, bugger, I thought - what to do now? Reached for the manual and the section on the immobiliser mentions radio frequency & mobile phone towers might interfere with the operation of the immobiliser. 50 metres away was a water tower with a heap of mobile phone thingies around it. I remembered this was the second time the immobiliser (& central locking) played up in the same vicinity (the first time it happened I restarted the car before the immobiliser kicked in - the car wouldn't lock & I realised if I went away & the immoboliser kicked in I might be in strife). Anyway, after thinking about it for a bit, I got out and put the remote right next to the receiver unit through the windscreen - the immobiliser light went out, I shot around, started the bus & left the area post-haste. Everything is working fine now. My question is - was it likely to be interference from the phone tower, or coincidence that it was the second time in the same area that it'd happened and it was just a Jeep thing OR because I'd pinched a park in the Baptist Church carpark I was paying the penalty to a higher authority?
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Cheers ... Mark
Old 25-04-2006
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i remember a number of places that i shouldnt park when i had the ZJ... my remote used to bugger up at teh rocks and i tried to avoid parking at the rocks...

even the WJ have some dubious remote wave length...

its a very theft proof mechanism...
Old 26-04-2006
Sticker Ninja!

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL @ the higher authority messing with you!

Here's the TSB for the problem with ZJ's http://home.sc.rr.com/janet/TSB/08-13-96.htm
Here's some more http://home.sc.rr.com/janet/

I was involved with RFI testing in the past with electronics for Aust & EU compliance and it's amazing what a bit of tin foil under or wrapped around the enclosure of a elec device can acheive. Putting the thing in a metal enclosure can help too. Obviously not a solution for product you're going to sell but as your own dodgy fix-it, it's worth a try before you fork out hundreds of $ for a new module if it does the trick.

Quote:
Remote Keyless Entry - Intermittently Inoperative

NO: 08-13-96

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: May 10, 1996
SUBJECT:
Remote Keyless Entry
Inoperative Due To
Radio Interference

MODELS:

1996 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The Remote Keyless Entry System (RKE) may be intermittently inoperative. The system may be receiving radio frequency interference (RFI) which can interfere with the RKE receiver located in the right hand door module. A shielded receiver has been developed for customers who frequently operate vehicles in areas where strong radio signals are present. These areas include airports, military installations and areas where commercial radio towers are present. If customers complain that the RKE is inoperative when the vehicle is operated in specific areas but operates properly in other areas, the right hand door module should be replaced with the updated version containing the shielded RKE receiver.

PARTS REQUIRED:

1 4883354 Right Door Module (RFI shielded)

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves replacing the right hand door module with an upgraded version containing a shielded Remote Keyless Entry receiver.
1. Record the preset radio stations and disconnect the battery negative terminal.

2. Remove the right door trim panel.

3. Disconnect the harness and remove the door module.

4. Install door module P/N 4883354 and connect the harness.

5. Install the door trim panel.

6. Connect the battery negative cable, set the radio stations and clock.

POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No: 08-80-28-91 0.2 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE: P8 - New Part

Old 26-04-2006
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

And all fixed in 12 minutes ???? At least if you have to get the stealership to repair it you labour cost for 12 minutes wont be much Yeah Right!

Dont take life seriously Nobody gets out alive

Last edited by FredE; 26-04-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 26-04-2006
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'd agree with the WJ having issues also. My keys only work within a metre or two of the front doors and wont work at all from behind the car i.e. when trying to get into the boot
Old 28-04-2006
asp_777
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemat
i'd agree with the WJ having issues also. My keys only work within a metre or two of the front doors and wont work at all from behind the car i.e. when trying to get into the boot
"ditto with my WG"
Old 29-04-2006
Sticker Ninja!

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Same WG prob here sometimes. Never does it when you're trying to prove the point though (like at the dealership)

Try pointing the remote at your melon. It's supposed to act as a booster according to Dr Karl lol.

Don't forget to say.... open sesame