GPS newbie q's - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Gaming & Technology
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default GPS newbie q's

I have trolled through many posts, and am still lost in all the computer mumbo jumbo(esp.3 letter shortenings). GPS, is the only one that I know what it stands for. I am after a Global Positioning System that needs to be able to do the following.

1; Simple to use(any good books around?), durable, colour screen large enough to understand.

2; Must be handheld/portable(I would like it to be able to be mounted on rig for easy viewing in some sort of a holder, yet removable, and somehow maybe later it could transfer information onto a larger incar screen, cableless?)Also have an ext./roof mounted aerial(no good if it don't pick-up any satelites, this was a big problem in the past, is it anymore?)

3; Can be charged via 12V incar(how long do they last normally?).

4; It's main use is for wheeling, therefore remote tracks etc(I want to be able to have tracks downloaded onto it like fire trails etc. to go explore. I looked into these things a few years ago, and my opinion was they did not have remote smaller tracks on them. Is this oziexplorer the go for what I want? I also want to be able to make my own maps/trips by downloading the route I took and waypoints that I marked, and printing up a hard copy.

5; What sort of prices am I looking at for particular models and to get the required programs and maps?

I have seen many people use GPS, usually gadget geeks that spend the whole time in my passenger seat playing with the thing and not enjoying the beautiful scenery. This may have changed in the last few years and people seem to use them as a useful tool, rather than a nifty gadget(I don't need to know what altitude I am over the radio every 5 minutes.
I simply want to upgrade my technology(ie maps, and yes, I will still be carrying them) to a GPS that can introduce me to new tracks that I have downloaded in a particular area, that can retrace my steps if I get geographically embarassed, and I can make my own maps/trips so I can retrace them in months/years to come.
Any advice is welcome, please write in basic GPS tech language.
Cheers, JASON.
Old 06-05-2007
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 116 Times in 94 Posts

I am using Holux bluetooth GPS that sits on my dash (charged through the cable connected permanently). This unit has a battery and can last for 10 hours.

This is hooked-up through my Ipaq (bluetooth), which is on a permanent mount on the dash as well. Ipaq is charged through the mount (12v). When I am out, I just take my pda with me.

I have been using this combination for about six months now and it works great. I have not had a situation of lost signal even under dense forest cover or in the middle of the city with high-rises blocking the sky.

If you need the photos, I can try taking some. Its in a TJ.
Old 06-05-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A photo would be great. I have looked at the ipaq's but I wonder how durable they are, enough for some hunting do you think. Is there a case/protector for them maybe. They also seem to do alot more than I require, are they user friendly? I really just want it for a strong gps signal in the car, and some walking around for a couple of hours max. Then back onto a charger.
Old 06-05-2007
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 116 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Lizard View Post
A photo would be great. I have looked at the ipaq's but I wonder how durable they are, enough for some hunting do you think. Is there a case/protector for them maybe. They also seem to do alot more than I require, are they user friendly? I really just want it for a strong gps signal in the car, and some walking around for a couple of hours max. Then back onto a charger.
I have Ipaq 2490b, and have used it well. It seems to be holding up nicely. There is a plastic screen cover that it comes with. Other hard cases might be available, but I never investigated. As for ease of use, well its runing Windows - but in logic its not much different from some of the Palms I have used in the past. I basically use it for a lot of things, and if everything works out okay I will be using it to run OBD diagnostics with it as well.

I'll try to take some photos tomorrow and post them.
Old 07-05-2007
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have the laptop mounted on the dash with aussie explorer with a holux USB GPS mouse which sits on the dash it is pretty simple to operate my nine year old son picked it up in about 5 min it'll do everything you'll want as far as mapping goes it records where you have been which is great when the track isn't on the map
Old 07-05-2007
'06 TJ

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you want to make/use maps of tracks and firetrails then you would probarly be better off using a GPS reciever with a laptop and or a PDA/Smartphone. There are lots of Phones and pda's now with GPS receivers built in now as well. These types of setup will allow the freedom to use any map data, great stuff like google earth, and all the different applications that a normal GPS unit for car or handheld simply cannot do.
Old 07-05-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmm, so many choices. I shall investigate further what is best for my application.
Post New Thread  Reply