ANOTHER Death Wobble question - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2006
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER Death Wobble question

I have searched & searched & searched, but not really found any help with this one.

3-4 months ago I bought the Cherokee, in that time I felt a really bad vibration/wobble 3-4 times coming through the steering wheel at any range of speed. It seemed to be dependant on the angle of steering & size of bump on the road.

- My first port of call was to check & replace any worn bushes. I found swaybar bushes worn, Replaced them with nolathane ones. It happened once again, so not fixed.

- Next was a leaking steering dampener replaced. This was the worse thing I did, because now it happens all the time at speeds as low as 30 km/h. The steering was alot firmer, but the car is now very very close to being undrivable, well it is for the trouble & strife.

- I then did some cursing & swearing, checked message boards for answers & found something about a "0 toe-in Wheel Alignment". I just got it done & asked the nice bloke who did it after knock off time on a 42 degree satuday to check all bushes & syuff. All came up OK, & wheel alignment done. I then drove out of the workshop & 200m down the road IT HAPPENS AGAIN..............

- The steering wheel had some freeplay in it, so in last ditch effort removed the freeplay out of steering box & went for drive. IT HAPPENED AGAIN, 50m down the road.

Now I need help. I am close to burning the thing & claiming insurance. I have done & checked all of what I can think & many of what message boards say, but it still shakes the hell out of my teeth.

ANY ANSWERS?

Last edited by bugadifino; 09-12-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2006
AJOR Silver

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

just some things you may or may not have checked:
-wheel bearings (hubs)
-wheel balance
-tyres not round
-panhard rod (worn or loose)
Old 09-12-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks,

Wheel balance has been redone,
It has new tyres,
wheel bearings wouldn't cause a wobble in steering would they?
I have no idea what the panhard rod is, hopefully this pictue thing will work & you can point out what number is the Panhard Rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherokee_steering.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	17796  
Old 09-12-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

Theres a picture of a panhard rod on this thread. It attaches to the body on the drivers side and the diff on the passengers side and bends around the diff pumpkin.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=59578

Edit: PS. if it is stuffed get a whiteline adjustable one from wooders, they're about a third of the cost of a Jeep replacement one.

Last edited by hillsjeep; 09-12-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, so that may cause the wobble? I'll go have a squiz

I just had a look, & know what you are talking about but struggle to understand how/why it could cause a wobble. It has a bush at one end (that looks ok on mine), & a BallJoint TYPE at the other. If either of these are worn or broken, wouldn't the whole diff move sideways? not cause the wheels to jump Left then Right?
Old 09-12-2006
AJOR Bronze

That's correct, but if your diff is moving sidways and your steering arm is staying still that will cause your wheels to steer left and right.
Old 09-12-2006
AJOR Bronze

Another thing it might pay to check if you haven't already, contact a Jeep dealership and make sure the steering box reinforment was installed after the '97 recall. They will need your VIN to check this. If this wasn't fixed then the body can crack where the steering box bolts on and cause a similar problem. If this is the problem Jeep will fix it for free.
Post New Thread  Reply