Condensation in Spare Wheel Well - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-05-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Default Condensation in Spare Wheel Well

Hi all, don't think it's a major item, but when I lifted the cargo area hatch up today, there was a patch of condensation about 100mm square under the lid. It seemed to be sitting directly above the jack and when I wiped the top of the jack, a small amount of moisture and surface rust came off on my fingers.
Couldn't find any moisture anywhere else, bottom of wells and storage tubs were dry, so I'm assuming it was just an amount of moisture from the production process of the styrene insert or maybe even the tyre.
Anyone else found this and what it might be from?
Scott

2012 WK2 GC Laredo Diesel with all the goods I can find.
Old 20-05-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Haven't had that problem (yet) but I always leave the windows down a tad for air circulation.
Old 20-05-2012

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Scott,

I have also had this ongoing problem for a while and have not been able to figure it out. I did have a plastic tarp sitting over the wheel well and removed it, which did help it a bit (another wet season in the NT), however it is back again (it's the dry season now).

Posed this question in another forum and it was suggested that the rear window rubbers (sides and rear door) maybe leaking and as water runs to the lowest point has a tendency to accumulate in the wheel well.

The only issue I had with this is that it look liked condensation that was building up on the inside of the wheel well cover and not pooling in the bottom of the well.

Latest thoughts was to put a vent on the cover. I will be using the amplimesh
from the Crime-safe advertisements, as it fine enough to breath and keep crap out.

Hope this helps
Old 21-05-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've taken a look at my GC CRD Laredo and do not have any condensation, however I have found this entry ....

Water leaking - running down the center inside of the backlight/glass
Remove spolier attachment screws on the inner side of the glass and the two at the hinges. Roll the spoiler toward the roof of the vehicle. Remove the outer harness retained at the lower half of the spoiler allowing spoiler to extend out of the way. Inspect the grommit for proper fit to the glass. Apply Kent High Tech Clear P10567 to the grommit face to glass sealing area and harness to grommit inner areas. Allow proper cure time as instructed.

on theTechnical Service Bulletins and Recalls at the bottom of the page for the GC WK2 at website at http://wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm

Wondering whether this might be your problem?
Old 21-05-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts

Thanks all, I'll have another look on the weekend, but couldn't see any water pooled in the bottom last weekend, just the condensation under the lid, which was why I wondered if it was being sucked out of something in the compartment, I've had a Waeco and camping gear sitting on top of the lid which would make it reasonably airtight within.

2012 WK2 GC Laredo Diesel with all the goods I can find.
Old 22-05-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

GDay Scott,
the whole spare compartment is formed out of plastic tub components that don't seal anything to anything. The lid being the highest point might be the spot that any moisture might recondense as it evaporates. It might be as simple as something being placed in there wet or as nasty as a grommet through the floor left off letting water in under the carpet.
But you knew all that already....
If you have a tow bar fitted check from underneath where the wiring harness comes through the floor. That would be a really likely spot for water to come in.
If you do pull everything out to look for damp spots (and it isn't all that hard) and you disconnect any electrical connectors - word of warning from experience - don't turn the ignition on while they are disconnected, via the Canbus - it upsets control modules.
John

Last edited by JnK; 22-05-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 22-05-2012
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It might be an idea to get a large silica gel packet and keep it in one of the tubs next to the spare wheel. Like the stuff you can get to keep cupboards damp free.

Like this stuff ... http://www.dampsolutions.com.au/cata...roducts_id/120

You can probably find something similar at Bunnings.
Post New Thread  Reply