Rhino back bone - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-02-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 172 Times in 124 Posts
Default Rhino back bone

I am thinking of getting the rhino back bone roof rack for my JKU and want to know a couple of things (from those that have one)
1. Is it easy to take the platform on and off, so when I don't need it ,95% of the time, it can sit in the shed (so just pads are left on roof)
2. Is it good quality
3. Is it loud
I don't want something that looks like a mad max style roll cage!
Cheers
Old 27-02-2015
Established Member

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

I dlnt have the platform but i have heavy duty bars. The noise isngto bad. You get used to it and it just zones out.. i find it rattles inside when i first start thecar up. The bit above driver door.
Old 28-02-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts

I have the rhino backbone & platform tray combo.
# platform off = there are a total of 6 bolts that undo to leave just the feat so it is not a hard job.
# wind noise = I got some extra noise as expected, but I have since put in the hot head roof liners & now it is even quieter than before the racks & cooler.
# I use the platform tray when removing the roof on my JK.
(1) I back the JK into the garage, take off the freedom panels & store them safely up on top of the platform tray on the roof.
(2) then undo the factory bolts that holds the roof on.
(3) I have bolted 4 small $4 pulleys up in the garage roof.
I tie the ropes to the platform tray that go up over the pulley's.
(4) I lift the JK hard top with back bone, platform tray, foxwing awning & tredds all still in place & tie it off at its storage position tight against the garage roof.
(5) drive out of the garage without the hard top.

I have got this down to a fine art that I can remove it & replace it on my own.

I work for a fleet fit company who supply & fit aftermarket accessories for the new car dealers in Brisbane.
The Rhino back bone is becoming more popular in the new JK market as they dont look as cumbersome as the cage styles that go over the complete roof.
I often put a roof top tent up on my platform tray for weekends away.
good luck with your decisions.
cheers piggy.
Old 28-02-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 172 Times in 124 Posts

Thanks Brendan and Piggy I think I will get one. I have just been to the opening of the new opposite lock store in ferntree gully and they have a deal for 10% off rrp for the pioneer platform system plus 1 free accessory.
Old 16-03-2015

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

If you haven't already bought one, I just came across this rhino rack pioneer tray and back bone kit on eBay for a very decent price! Almost too decent that I read the fine print several times to make sure it comes with everything required and it seems to. I looked up all the part numbers and it's all there!

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/141599027504?nav=SEARCH
Old 16-03-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts

That is for the tray only
Old 16-03-2015

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qikracer View Post
That is for the tray only
That was my initial thought but read the item description

" PLEASE NOTE THIS KIT COMES WITH VEHICLE SPECIFIC LEGS THAT WILL ADAPT THIS TRAY TO YOUR VEHICLE

it is an all included kit, please refer to the link to the fitting instructions below for further information"

And I looked up the build list part numbers and it's all there

"PLHS1 x 1 RLCP30 x 3 RJKB1 x 1 41108 x 1"
Post New Thread  Reply