First Post - Service Costs - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-07-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up First Post - Service Costs

Hay everyone!

First off ... Thanks for letting me join your forum!

Secondly, I do not have a Jeep at them moment, but I was thinking of getting a Wrangler, and slowly doing it up. It would be a daily drive at first (probably for the missus) and then I would take it off the road, and do stuff to it (I will be one of them pain in the @$$ people with all the questions . However, I have heard from friends that running a Wrangler is hellish expensive. Service costs and the likes being a killer ... What do your guys and gals think?

We all know how mates are, not usually knowing the facts ... So I thought I would come to the experts ...

Thanks again for having me!!!
Old 18-07-2011
Super Moderator

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Welcome... BUY ONE... you know you want to...

Just remember, we were all new once... we all thought we were a pain, we all thought we asked dumb questions... none of its true mate, never a dumb question and certainly not a pain! Search function in here is GOLD! plenty of info to sift through...Dont know where your from though...

Be aware... once bitten by the Jeep mod bug, there is no CURE! Your doomed to always have an empty wallet!!

The Jeeps are an experience, not a car, they a re build not bought... tis a love affair really... LOL.. you love the things you hate!

Dealer will charge you about 200-300 for a normal service, BUT remember you dont always have to use a dealer... a qualified mechanic can do the service and still keep new car warranty... Plenty of those arround...
Old 18-07-2011
Super Moderator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

PS are you looking for a NEW or USED? Petrol or Diesel? Auto or Manual? Year?

So many things to think about...

NO THEY ARE NOT EXPENSIVE, the modding gets that way as you always want bigger and better LOL...

Services are like any 4x4 really... infact my father pays more to service his 2008 Calais V V6 than I do for my 2010 JKU 3.6!!
Old 18-07-2011
CrawlerStar

Ditto to what 'craigperth' has said.

You'll read and hear all sorts of things, for example when I was first looking I read that with regular maintenance they're one of the most reliable vehicles around (due to them being so easy to service). So you gotta take everything with a grain of salt.

You might get lucky and buy one that runs perfectly for years and years or you might buy a lemon - this could happen with any make/model though

One's thing for sure if you do get into them seriously, and start building them right up you'll probably have to do at least one of the following;

- get a second job
- get rid of the missus
- win lotto

Have fun!

2011 JK Sport Cosmos Blue RIP :-(
Old 18-07-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for all the welcome and advice!

Didn't realize there would be that many benefits to getting a Jeep ... I get to kick the missus out too ...

I will try answer some of the questions...
First off, I think she will be second hand - am really against all the money you lose just driving the car off the floor. As for age, fuel type, drive train ... I have no idea. What do you all recommend?

Missus would like auto tranny! I would guess diesel - more torques?

Again, thanks for the welcome, and all past hand the heaps of coming () advice!!!
Old 18-07-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like they said above, once you start molding get ready to go bust. I've just spent more than what the car cost me in under a week "car cost 4k" lol. Pretty easy to do but should be worthwhile and give many years of fun off the tracks.

Best bit of advice I can offer is ask lots of questions and do it right the first time, the people on this forum are great with info and know their stuff.

Search function does work well too so give it a go and get ready to absorb stacks of info.

Good luck with the hunt.
Old 18-07-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

where are you located Bro? Autos are better plenty of people on here have trouble with the clutches on a manual.

Regards Anthony
Post New Thread  Reply