Harmonic balancer replacement job - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-11-2013
Jingle ALL the way...

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts
Default Harmonic balancer replacement job

Planning to replace my harmonic balancer due to the wobble that I found. Preventative maintenance. What should I do, while I'm out there, any other things to order? I read something about a seal.
Never done the job, but will need a pulley tool (might come in handy when other pulleys need replacing). Do I also need a tool to install the HB? Seen some different things on youtube.
I might also look into replacing my radiator at the same time because of leak, although I understand that it should also be do-able with the radiator left in.

Any advice for this job?

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.

Last edited by Roler; 25-11-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 25-11-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 166 Times in 99 Posts

I recently replaced the timing case seal.
I pulled the radiator for more elbow room, the balancer came off easily enough with a puller. The timing case seal also removed easily with a $10 puller from Bursons, I was sceptical of the $10 Universal Seal Puller but it worked a treat
Replaced both the seal & balancer with a mallet (carefully) & have had no problems at all.
The seal was less than $20, I think, from Wooders.
Old 25-11-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 117 Times in 56 Posts

You'll need a harmonic balancer puller (not a 2/3 claw puller) and the radiator doesn't need removing. I didn't replace crank seal because its really not that hard to pull the balancer - if I need to do it in the future I'll just pull the HB again.

Getting the new HB on has a couple options, some people like to use the original bolt to pull it on - I wouldn't though, because those first few turns are only going to have very small amount of thread purchase and a lot of folks have pulled the threads out of the crank shaft... no thank you.

What I did is bought a longer bolt, a nut and a stack of body washers and kept adding a washer at a time so as to have 90% thread contact for each push (so its threaded almost the whole way in before contacting the washers). It's slower but not a huge deal - and I figure its worth it for the peace of mind.

Oh and as for cracking the crank bolt, a nice big breaker and something to stop the shaft turning is all it takes.
Old 25-11-2013
Jingle ALL the way...

Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts

Thanks for the advice so far. To stop the shaft from turning, what did you use and how...you tubes are a bit vague about this, not mentioning that...

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.
Old 25-11-2013
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

A mech did mine using a special crank nut breaker and a BFH. Was only a 40min job so not worth my time to mess around with it. IMHO I would replace the seal. Only say this because mine started leaking a month later so I paid to have the crank pully removed twice. But if you are doing it yourself everything Hamsteh said. I think I removed the thermo fan which gave the mech a little more room. I also removed the bash plate, probably why he did it in around 40mins.

Regards A
Old 25-11-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Beware the HB bolt can be very tight. I was attempting to do one on a Mazda Bravo last week and had to abort the mission until I get home from work as I couldn't crack the bolt. Not impressed considering the work I'd done to get that close. I am going to make a nut cracker to use with the hammer as even with a pipe on a breaker bar wasn't enough. I even got dodgy and tried the old crank the engine with breaker bar against chassis (I was desperate!) but still no go. Also found a good way to stop the engine turning is a bolt and piece of chain into a hole on the HB and other end shackled to a crossmember. Failing all this it will be de-gas aircon, remove radiator etc and use a rattle gun.
Old 25-11-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 117 Times in 56 Posts

I used a huge ass screwdriver in the flywheel teeth with my mate on a breaker at the HB, but it was hardly ideal... I've heard cylinder packing is easy but the idea scared me too much to try!