AAARRGGHH!!! More urgent help needed - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-06-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default AAARRGGHH!!! More urgent help needed

I've searched high and low for an answer but can't find it. Sorry if I am rehashing an old subject but heres my problem;

My car is supposed to have had the software upgrade to get rid of the sand driving "serv4wd" issue, but this morning at Rainbow Beach doing some pretty easy driving on the beach, the light came on. Car went straight to 2wd. I got back to the beach exit OK but went down as soon as I hit the softer stuff. 45 mins later and hopping with two short sand mats I got off the beach. As soon as I had driven about a hundred metres on the hard stuff the light went out.

Problem is; we are supposed to be heading to Fraser Island tomorrow morning, and I've got my 90 yr old Mum in the car. I just can't afford to get caught over there.

Is there any way for me to confidently clear that fault myself if it happens again?

I have called Jeep and they are sending a guy out today to have a look at it, but I'm not super confident that what might turn out to be a local on call mechanic will have the right gear to diagnose / update the computer.

Unless I can be certain I can fix this myself if I have to, I'm going to have to break Mums heart. It was to be the highlight of her trip.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 15-06-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep56 View Post
I've searched high and low for an answer but can't find it. Sorry if I am rehashing an old subject but heres my problem;

My car is supposed to have had the software upgrade to get rid of the sand driving "serv4wd" issue, but this morning at Rainbow Beach doing some pretty easy driving on the beach, the light came on. Car went straight to 2wd. I got back to the beach exit OK but went down as soon as I hit the softer stuff. 45 mins later and hopping with two short sand mats I got off the beach. As soon as I had driven about a hundred metres on the hard stuff the light went out.

Problem is; we are supposed to be heading to Fraser Island tomorrow morning, and I've got my 90 yr old Mum in the car. I just can't afford to get caught over there.

Is there any way for me to confidently clear that fault myself if it happens again?

I have called Jeep and they are sending a guy out today to have a look at it, but I'm not super confident that what might turn out to be a local on call mechanic will have the right gear to diagnose / update the computer.

Unless I can be certain I can fix this myself if I have to, I'm going to have to break Mums heart. It was to be the highlight of her trip.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Hey sorry to hear about it. I had experienced the problem for the first time about a month ago. Got towed off the beach, very embarrassing. I was told I had a physical part replaced, so maybe you want to go back to the dealer.

I didn't get to try this, but I did read somewhere that you can force the car into 4low if you do it quickly after starting the engine. That error light takes about 10secs to come on, so apparently it can be done in that time. Should make life a bit easier. Wish I had of known.

Also, resetting battery doesn't clear it. So don't bother with that.

Good luck
Jason
Old 15-06-2014
Senior Newbie

Mechanic has been and gone already. Very nice fellow, and good quick service but as I feared, his simple OBD reader found no fault to clear. Now I'm stuck with a car that I just can't trust. Still 4 months and maybe another 20000 ks planned before getting home.

With this problem, the failed AC condenser, and a previous rear diff leak because of a little bit of sand getting behind the seal, as well as numerous engine warning lights and other little glitches, this "Jeep thing" is wearing very bloody thin right now...
Old 15-06-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

If it happens again while you are on the beach, try disconnecting your battery to reset fault, dont know if it will work but worth a try.
Old 15-06-2014
Senior Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience View Post
If it happens again while you are on the beach, try disconnecting your battery to reset fault, dont know if it will work but worth a try.
Mate, if it was just me and the missus I would take the punt. But I would be stupid and negligent to take any chances with Mum on board. My only options now are to cancel the trip, or hire one of the local V8 petrol 100 Series Landcruiser. Which is probably what I'll do to see what they are like because its very likely the Jeep will be traded on one shortly.
Old 15-06-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, give the beach a miss this time I think.
Old 15-06-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 689 Times in 385 Posts

If you use low range the whole time it mechanically locks the car in 4x4 (so i've heard) so even if the light comes on, you will still have drive to 4 wheels

Post New Thread  Reply