Tj wrangler how to fit towbar - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-01-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tj wrangler how to fit towbar

Hey all, picked up A towbar for my tj - factory jeep towbar , looks pretty simple to fit , wondering if anyone knows whether or not I need to drill through the chassis to fit bolts near the fuel tank ??
Old 13-01-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 82 Times in 69 Posts

No. you can use a tapped plate on a wire for that bolt.
Old 13-01-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So none of the bolts go through the entire rail?
It's a 2nd hand t/bar and I didn't get any bolts and haven't fitted a bar to a jeep b4

Bolts will b easy to get but just wanna make sure I install correctly and not compromise strength of rail or towbar

When looking at towbar ,Looks like 4 bolts go in each side - 1 at tow hook/ rail cross memember
Then 3 in each chassis rail ... Do they all have bolt with wire? 2 of the 3 holes on each rail , appear single sided
Old 14-01-2015
Established Member

Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts

I just took a basic hayman reese towbar off mine. It used 2 bolts horizontally through the rails and 1 underneath where the tow hook goes.

Bolts through the rail were as such, it used 1 of the blind holes and also used the right through hole. The blind hole had a plate with a nut welded on to i with a wire hook to insert it up through the bottom of the rail. The right through bolt used a tube spacer that was just shorter than the width of the rail with a bolt going right through. This way the bolt going right through will crush the rail ever so slightly till it reaches the tube spacer then it will lock up onto that. This keeps permanent tension on the bolts and also stops the rail crushing in any further.

Hope this all makes sense.
Old 14-01-2015
Full Flexer

It will depend on what bolts were supplied with the towbar. As ausjeep says, do not bolt through a chassis without using a crush tube. I changed mine so it bolts up through the outer rail only with tapped plates inside. that is the strongest method.
Old 14-01-2015
Established Member

Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by low ranger View Post
It will depend on what bolts were supplied with the towbar. As ausjeep says, do not bolt through a chassis without using a crush tube. I changed mine so it bolts up through the outer rail only with tapped plates inside. that is the strongest method.
In some ways i'm in disagreement with you there. The tapped plate method for both bolts has been proven quite a few times to be a weaker method of fixing these. I have seen numerous reports and photos where people have torn the side out of the chassis rail cause it only relies on strength from one face of the rail. By using the bolt right through method it now spreads the load over both sides of the rail.
Old 14-01-2015
Full Flexer

disagree all you want. I fit these for a job. I don't want to come across as a smart arse, but I do know what I'm talking about.
Post New Thread  Reply