2012 CRD Oil Change - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default 2012 CRD Oil Change

Hey guys,

So the 90,000 service is just a new oil filter and oil change. How easy is this to do myself? Tips? Tricks? Recommendations?

I'm not paying more than $400 to get this done as per Jeep's on-line quote.

Cheers!
Old 07-03-2016
Established Member

Wow! Reading up on the oil and it looks as though there's only one oil that meets the Chrysler MS11106 standard: Mobile 1 ESP Formula 5W-30. It's hard to get and not cheap!

Even dealers aren't using oil that meets Chrysler's own standard.

Being out of warranty I think I'll go for the Shell oil that meets the requirements for the same engine in the VW Toureg, Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5W-30.

With filter and sump plug, it comes to $160. Now I just need to work out how to do it!
Old 07-03-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 37 Times in 28 Posts

A few things you should know before attempting this.
You will be on your back under the engine, it should be warm.
The loose dirt on the engine will spontaneously fall off and go directly in your eye.
The spent oil rarely ever goes entirely into whatever you use to catch it.
The drain plug has usually been cross threaded in the past and will be a pain.
When refilling the funnel will fall over spilling oil on the exhaust.
When you remove the old filter it will drip oil on the exhaust.
You will hit your funny bone, it's not.
It's best to warm the engine up, you will burn yourself.
Other than that it's easy, don't be afraid of trying this yourself, after all what could go wrong?
Old 07-03-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 573 Times in 294 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlugGlug View Post
Wow! Reading up on the oil and it looks as though there's only one oil that meets the Chrysler MS11106 standard: Mobile 1 ESP Formula 5W-30. It's hard to get and not cheap!

Even dealers aren't using oil that meets Chrysler's own standard.

Being out of warranty I think I'll go for the Shell oil that meets the requirements for the same engine in the VW Toureg, Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5W-30.

With filter and sump plug, it comes to $160. Now I just need to work out how to do it!
it's pretty easy, but some things you must know, take off the top off the air box and inlet hose to the back off the motor to get easier access to the oil filter. You just wind the oil filter cap off and the filter comes away with it, don't forget the new ö"rings whe fitting new filter and they must be in the right place also if you cannot siphon the old oil from the oil filter housing you have to wait 20 mins for it to drain through

When checking oil level you also must wait at least 10 minutes for the oil to drain back to the crankcase before taking your reading, lots of dealers used to just bang in the new filter and then pump 8.3 ltrs in and hey presto your motor is overfull by 300 - 400 ml or they would check the dipstick to early resulting in the same problem. In the manual it states do not over fill engine oil as it causes foaming and loss of protection

Bob
Old 07-03-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlugGlug View Post
Hey guys,

So the 90,000 service is just a new oil filter and oil change. How easy is this to do myself? Tips? Tricks? Recommendations?

I'm not paying more than $400 to get this done as per Jeep's on-line quote.

Cheers!
One precaution that you should take into account are the "O" rings as mentioned. Just be careful to make sure that you place the large O ring in the groove correctly "near" the top of the plastic cap retaining the filter. If you place the o ring at the very top of the tread on the cap, it will spew all your oil out in a matter of seconds.
As for oil, most reputable full synthetic oils meet mercedes standards. In fact the very best value oil is Bursons own brand 10/40 fully synthetic. It surpasses SAE standards for Mercedes diesel engines and its cheaper than all the others.
Whilst you are under the hood, have a look at the inlet ducting to your turbo. If there is oil leaking down into the inlet manifold, go and get a good catch can (preferably BT). Oil leaking down there will solidify and seize the swirl pot (very expensive).
As for changing the oil, you have already been given good advice. One last thing, Wicks make a very good and affordable oil filter for about $17.00.
Kel
Old 07-03-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 573 Times in 294 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD-01 View Post
One precaution that you should take into account are the "O" rings as mentioned. Just be careful to make sure that you place the large O ring in the groove correctly "near" the top of the plastic cap retaining the filter. If you place the o ring at the very top of the tread on the cap, it will spew all your oil out in a matter of seconds.
As for oil, most reputable full synthetic oils meet mercedes standards. In fact the very best value oil is Bursons own brand 10/40 fully synthetic. It surpasses SAE standards for Mercedes diesel engines and its cheaper than all the others.
Whilst you are under the hood, have a look at the inlet ducting to your turbo. If there is oil leaking down into the inlet manifold, go and get a good catch can (preferably BT). Oil leaking down there will solidify and seize the swirl pot (very expensive).
As for changing the oil, you have already been given good advice. One last thing, Wicks make a very good and affordable oil filter for about $17.00.
Kel
Only thing is his motor is the V Motori (Italian)diesel takes 5-30 and the filter is different

Bob
Old 08-03-2016
Established Member

Well I decided to see what Lube Mobile could do for me as a matter of convenience (coming to my work). $310 for the 90,000 log book service using Mobil 1
ESP Formula 5W-30. SOLD!
Post New Thread  Reply