oil in the intake turbo diesel xj 98 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-04-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default oil in the intake turbo diesel xj 98

hey Guys
my jeep was turning over but not starting since getting back from camping 2 weeks ago got to the driveway and stalled ... couldn't start it again ... jump started it towing it down the street yesterday with a huge cough n splatter n loads of smoke got it up my driveway disconnected the intercooler hose from the intake gave it some berries and found it blowing good amounts of smoke from the exhaust but what has me baffled is that the intercooler pipe is spitting out loads of oil and seems to be exhaust gas too??? is my turbo blown??
any ideas on why so much oil is going through my intercooler hoses?? even when I detatched the air intake from the front of the turbo it was very oily?
Old 19-04-2018
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumunji-XJTD View Post
hey Guys

my jeep was turning over but not starting since getting back from camping 2 weeks ago got to the driveway and stalled ... couldn't start it again ... jump started it towing it down the street yesterday with a huge cough n splatter n loads of smoke got it up my driveway disconnected the intercooler hose from the intake gave it some berries and found it blowing good amounts of smoke from the exhaust but what has me baffled is that the intercooler pipe is spitting out loads of oil and seems to be exhaust gas too??? is my turbo blown??

any ideas on why so much oil is going through my intercooler hoses?? even when I detatched the air intake from the front of the turbo it was very oily?

A huge amount of oil in intercooler hose generally means a lot of blow back. Blow back can be caused by a few issues. Lots of smoke can be caused by different issues.
White smoke is an indication of oil burning, meaning something has failed, turbo/rings or something else.
Black smoke tends to be overfueling, this can be caused by multiple issues. Extra air into the system can put things out and cause lack of power like a split intercooler hose. Blocked air filter can cause it to run rich and create more fuel smoke.
Blown turbo sound like it could be the issue. Best to get it checked before it causes more trouble. I had a similar problem with my race car, turned out was a split hose at bottom intercooler, $30 fix. I hope it is as simple and cheap for you too. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19-04-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

Sounds more to me like the seal in the turbo is crook.
Can you feel any play in the turbo shaft? With the hose off the turbo, try & move the turbo fan from side to side. Any movement shows the turbo is likely the problem.
Old 20-04-2018
Senior Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Sounds more to me like the seal in the turbo is crook.
Can you feel any play in the turbo shaft? With the hose off the turbo, try & move the turbo fan from side to side. Any movement shows the turbo is likely the problem.
no movement in the turbo shaft ... I really thought this would be the issue as when I was trying to start it without the intercooler hose attached to the intake manifold I found it weird that white smoke was coming from the intercooler hose as the engine was turning over ... I removed the glow plugs and turned the engine over a few times to clear the cylinders of any excess diesel or oil that may have built up and the glow plugs were a little fowled aswell ... I did notice that before returning the glow plugs I ran my finger around the glow plug ports to find cylinder 1,2 and 4 seemed like diesel smear but cylinder 3 had oil smear?? was thinking maybe a ring issue but I really had assumed the turbo was the issue .... but reading yours and 7Rustynutz7's reply
"White smoke is an indication of oil burning, meaning something has failed, turbo/rings or something else."
I had a huge amount of white smoke cough out when tow/roll starting it which would be oil burning in the cylinder I would think ... I just still don't get how this would cause white smoke and loads of oil coming through my turbo pipes there was no issue with air getting in all was sealed when I removed the plumbing the intercooler is caked with oil?? also what could be possible causes for my ring failing??? maybe a hot spot?? my cooling system was very orange when pulling apart ..
Old 20-04-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

You could try starting it with the air tube off the inlet manifold. That would remove the turbo from the test. See if it still makes smoke. It will be gutless. You could also try running it with the crankcase vent tube removed from the turbo inlet pipe. It will puff lots of smoke out the tube, but you can see how much oil is coming out of there. If it just wont start, it could be lack of compression or GP's not working.
Old 20-04-2018
Senior Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
You could try starting it with the air tube off the inlet manifold. That would remove the turbo from the test. See if it still makes smoke. It will be gutless. You could also try running it with the crankcase vent tube removed from the turbo inlet pipe. It will puff lots of smoke out the tube, but you can see how much oil is coming out of there. If it just wont start, it could be lack of compression or GP's not working.
I will have a crack tomorrow morning before work.. I was trying to start it with the air tube off the manifold and there was white smoke coming from the air tube as it was cranking over .. after getting it tow started I had the air tube off the manifold and gave it some revs 3-4500rpm and quite a bit of oil was spitting from the air tube also white smoke that's what baffled me re the turbo... I will have a crack tomorrow at disconnecting the crank house breather from the turbo see how it goes.. thanks Layback 40 all your help is valued highly [emoji121][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 20-04-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 90 Posts

compression test would tell you if rings/piston/rocker's/valves are ok .
It could be a exhaust valve stack open or bent on one of the cylinders or head gasket or head and so on .
I would start with compression check .You would need a comp.tester for diesel engines that can read more than 300 Kpa . A rough way of testing would be to remove glow plugs than press your finger tip against the hole and crank the engine .
Crank the engine only with ignition OFF and only by jumping the starter coil directly with +12 volts from battery .
By the feel of pressure pushing on your finger tip you can work out which cylinder has less compression . I know it is a primitive approach and a bit erratic but sometimes helps. (done it on my Transit van).

Last edited by amlav; 20-04-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply