W58 RECALL Affects on remapped WK2 TDi's - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2021
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default W58 RECALL Affects on remapped WK2 TDi's

Hoping someone as already gone the path of the W58 (Tone Wheel recall)

My question is does anyone know if the recall which involves a software intervention will affect a engine remap.
Talking to Nepean Jeep I came back with no confidence they really knew if this was a "patch" or a complete SW reload.
I don't want to loose my $1,100 remap and the benifits it brings

Any feedback welcome

2015 Laredo
Green Diesel
Old 04-10-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 269 Times in 147 Posts

I live in the world of electronics and I am 99% sure it will be a full remap of the ECU as any packaging update for the tone wheel commands (within the file itself) has to be packaged as the package changes in other areas of the file, checksum (Validated) tested whole then loaded whole. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I just cannot confirm my view though. I did work out how to pull the file from the ECU on bench. As I was going to pick up a second ECU and clone but given the age of my vehicle, the effort is no longer. Problem remains, have a tuned non update vs update and no tune is the final result with a second ECU ready to swap over. Does go well with an alternator change at the same time though!
Old 08-10-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 304 Times in 190 Posts

I just spoke to my local dealer regarding this issue and turns out mine will be the first with a tune that they know of to have the W58 at their dealership. It is a complete overwrite so tune will go.

I tempted fate and asked whether I will have to put my DPF back in. they said it more than likely throw a code due to the pressure sensors. I told them I had joined them by a hose so they should read the same, which his comment was he was fairly confident it would be fine. My worry was that there should be a differential pressure across the DPF itself even when clean so would zero or an equal pressure be ok from the computers point of view. He seemed to think so but I guess we will find out in about a week.
Old 19-10-2021
Full Flexer

Just an update. Had my recall done. Was going to put DPF back in but thought I would test the waters and see with having the pressure sensor pipes joined. Put DPF in back of car anyway just in case as exhaust shop next door said they would help me out worse case.

Tech was hesitant as the mods on my jeep and that I would lose my tune. I said I don't really have any options as it is a safety recall and they agreed.

Well all seems good. Tech said no codes came up and I thrashed it on the way home and handballed the car to my missus. She has not said anything and I checked for codes last night. Nothing. Tune still felt like it was still in there so think we are good.
Old 19-10-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,997 Times in 2,359 Posts

Thats good news indeed @GCDingo, makes you wonder just how much of a software update it is, just a little tick on the cam sensor... I know mine wasn't in the shed for very long at all ...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 19-10-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 269 Times in 147 Posts

That’s a real indicator of how it loads, thanks for being an early adopter here.
Old 20-10-2021
Full Flexer

Yeh I think you are right Drover. Must just be a small parameter change, Good result for me as dealer was pretty cautious being they hadn't done one but at least were impressed with my mods