After market front shocks & springs - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2022
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default After market front shocks & springs

I know there are a number of places to buy replacement Springs, but I can’t find anywhere that sells Shocks for the GC.

My front Springs have sagged about 50mm (if the ride height figures I’ve been told are correct), so I’m wondering if I got a set of say Dobinsons 40mm lift Springs, would the oem shocks still work with them, or should I just buy new shocks, and if I have to buy new shocks who sells them?

I see in the US that they sell Front Strut Assemblies, but they don’t list the 3.0crd as an engine choice in the 2012 model?
Old 08-12-2022
Rock Munki

Liked 1,330 Times in 766 Posts

You wont find the Diesel listed in the States pre-14....they were Export only....front shocks are available widely from multiple brands...its your choice...when purchasing a lift kit for these rigs...many offer new front n rear springs and front shocks only...SACHS/NIVOMATTS remain in the rear to retain towing capacity (3500kg)...many that offer rear shocks with a lift kit lower the tow weight in a legal capacity....wont recommend a brand of new shock....choice is entirely yours...Dobinsons sell them, Fulcrum, Bilstien, OME, Ironman...etc etc etc...call a real suspension shop and they will guide you through your choices....many options...once you have made your choice you have just as many options of where to purchase and who to fit...ENJOY !!!

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 09-12-2022
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,971 Times in 2,343 Posts

I have fitted Ironman to mine, shocks and springs on the front and springs with a spacer for the Nivomatts on the back, works well. I wouldn't change just springs on the front and leave the old shocks on I prefer to change the whole lot,if springs are knackered then shocks won't be much chop either..... Standard front height is 489mm hub centre to guard, Rear 512mm, if rear is lower your shocks are stuffed as Nivomatts should be close to that even when you have it loaded.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 12-12-2022
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks Drover.

I see what you mean about the 3.0 not being available in the States until 14’.

I jacked the Jeep up and to my surprise the “P/No” Tags were still on both front springs so I have the original numbers to order them with.

I was looking at Aussie Struts and Springs, but no one does them in normal height, they all do 40-60mm lift kits. I don’t want to raise the suspension as I have no intention of doing any bush bashing in the Jeep.

Thanks again for your input and information.
Old 12-12-2022
MonsterMoose

They don't make the original gear after market because nobody would buy it as its rubbish, once you add bums and bar work these heights drop away just like the original heights but they give better handling and ride, the clearance underneath isn't much at all really.............

Mine at 40K km with a 35 kg alloy bar had dropped 50mm, it had never towed until I got it, so it was quickly chucked and replaced, better handling all round now and I don't do any bush bashing in my Grand its a Yuppie Tractor not a basher, if I wanted to do real FWDing I would have a proper high clearance vehicle to do it in, preferably with very little electronic rubbish and live axles.

Bilstien B6 4600 24-225410 is the listed bog standard fitting shock for them though the Bilsein B8 5100 24-225434 is adjustable also fits... availalbe here as well.

Old 13-12-2022
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks again Drover, it’s good to have input from someone who has real world experience with this issue.

I don’t have a Bullbar and the only thing added to the front area of the vehicle has been a Catch Can and a very small Nudge Bar to mount a Light Bar on (about 4kg in total).

The Jeep has done 135k and I believe a lot of it was done towing a van, and it was fitted with a WDH set up when I bought it, I know that the WDH puts extra weight on the front suspension and I’m guessing that this has contributed to the front springs sagging.

I’ve found a “MONROE” Strut Assembly in America on Rock Autos, but they are a standard replacement for the Jeep. But from what you’ve said, I’m worried that these might end up sagging like the OEM units?

Is the front suspension on your Jeep stiffer than the OEM or is it pretty much the same? And what suspension did you get? I’ve read on here that some of the companies selling these lift kits aren’t that good, the last thing I want to do is get a lift kit fitted and then have it do what my original springs have done.

Any and all help is very much appreciated.
Old 13-12-2022
MonsterMoose

I may be biased but believe anything is better than original springs, well I am impressed with the rear Nivomat shocks, they are good.......

Some folk have fitted the wrong springs to their vehicles and not all as DiY some places seem to just see Grand Cherokee and assume thats the one, where not all Grands are the same, our stuff is export and has export suspension which is different somehow.... z

Mine had never towed and the springs had sagged something chronic so towing ain't the cause of front sag I believe but as I mentioned before somewhere my bull bar is 35kg, so bugger all really, with 2 bums on seat and near full tank of fuel its 8kg over on the front axle loading so the front on these jigger is a bit hefty and chucking 280kg on the tow ball is going to alieviate that a bit, if you set your WDH up correctly and very few do with these Nivomatts you probably aren't throwing very much load to the front..... with the Nivomatts on the back you need to drive about half a K down the road, by then the Nivomatts have reset, stop in a flat spot and do the tape measure bit that they describe for correct WDH set up and go from there, if you just drop the van on the ball and lever the bars into position to get things level your just gong to have the rear shock/springs fighting the WDH all the time, once you have done the measure bit and see how many links are needed your set......... once my Nivomatts have reset I stop on the edge of town and throw the bars on, they practically go on by hand and they are just give a nice bit of stability if I have to throw the rig around and take out the odd bit of porpoising on these fine QLD country roads...

I find my set up to give a better ride than the original stuff actually but then the front would whack the bump stops in woollies if I went too hard, so anything be an improvement.......... most springs are in 2 versions you don't want the lighter ones as they are for the petrol jobs and will drop quickly from all reports....
Much better to buy your suspension parts here I reckon, get it wrong or they fail and you can take them back, over the years I have had a few shocks fail (Gabriel, OME, Ironman ) and swapping wasn't any problem, wouldn't be worth it if bought overseas..

Last edited by drover; 13-12-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply