Offroad Go Kart.. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2006
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Offroad Go Kart..

Hey guys well im really keen and have the skills to make lots of stuff off the top of my head and since im now in year 12 i had to make a Tech project which would earn me the marks..

i was originally going to make a BBQ car front end sorta thing with a car bonnet which when lifted revealed the BB Plate and shelving in the Front pannels. well since its hard and costly to get Mini parts here i went with a go kart..

I started off planning what frams and such i was going to need to handle what road conditions i was going to put it through. and finnaly came up with a wedge shaped frame.

pics of the first stages of the frame. top half is 25x25 and the bottom is 35x35.

the frame needed some centre support so i added 10x10 for the trianglulation effect which siffened the frame lots.. (got that idea from roof trusses)

i got bearings cheap off ebay which are proper 40mm go kart ones with carriers and the go kart store gave me an offcut axle which i was lucky to get. usung the 4 mounting holes on the gold carries i used 25x25x3mm angle and bent them into a shape of a house, and welded the base to another 35x35 SHS tube with both end's angled for the mounting bolts.

yes i know the bolts arent high tensile but mehh its all i had at the time.

the steering was next on the list with the use of a foldable cheap as chippos scooter i took the front bearing steering and welded it to my frame and added a steering wheel to a plate and tube for my steering colum.

good old school seat used for the seat.. the legs broke so i took the chair.

instead of buying stub axles i made my own, once again off the top of my head. i used 50x4mm flat bar and bent it in a "C" shape. then i used 25.4mm solid cold bar and lathed a 12mm hole right in the centre. with that i uses another 1" Bar lenght and put one on that to make a "T" which was my stub. i made a 3/4" witworth thread on the end to hold my wheel on.

this was then mounted to the chassis and welded on while it was nice and square. 15x15m tube was welded to the stub also to make the steering arm.

i used the triangle shape again to help the stub to support weight but i need to add another piece of metal which will sit on the "C" and go up to the top chassis rail.

a roll cage has been made but i hade made it so that it can be removed for transport or if you feel safe with it.

my axle was a tad short so i got a length of 34ODmm seamless draw tube with a 5mm wall. this slid into my 40mm axle and was then welded at each end to make it stronger. this was how the wheels are now mounted to the axle.

the engine is going to be a honda 125 for the moment untill i can source a very cheap 250cc. so far my year mark is 19/20 and if i complete the project to a running condition and do all the theory work (top of my head) i will get 20/20.

i will update this as i go along and i still need to take the latest rolling chassis pics but u get the idea.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00002.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	15522   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	15523   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	15524   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00005.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	15525   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00016.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	15526  

Name:	DSC00017.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	15527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close up.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	15528   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00002.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	15529   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00005.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	15530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Shot.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	15531  

Old 06-07-2006
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

forgot to add, the floor pan will be 1mm sheet steel. i havnt finished yet but the brakes are hydro usung gate hinge pedals hahaha

the front wheels are 16x4.5" and the rear 16"7.50-8.

here are some more pics taking a few mins ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00021.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	15532   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00022.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	15533   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00023.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	15534   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00024.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	15535   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00025.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	15536  

Old 06-07-2006
Head Honcho

Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I rekon we should name it..............from the pics I wanna call it the coffin

Great work keep us up to date~!

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 06-07-2006
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hehe thats the first thing when in frame form the teacher called it.. the coffin. its even 2m long so i could stand up in it and i filt perfectly inside it.
Old 07-07-2006
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

looks great but remember its a go kart not a stop cart brakes just add extra weight
Old 09-07-2006
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey how good is that ,ive got a kawasaki 500 motor stashed away some where ,that would make it crack
Old 09-07-2006
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey, well ive been loking for a cheap old 125 of 250 and people and the reckers just want way to much for them... a 125cc with 60,000 on the clock they want like $600 bucks and for a 250cc with 45,000 they wanted $550..

looks like its gonna sit for a while b4 it can get a heart..