WG Performance Querys NGK/FIPK/Exhaust etc - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-05-2008
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default WG Performance Querys NGK/FIPK/Exhaust etc

Hi another newbie here with some Questions about gaining perfromance

I want to use the NGK IV Iridium for my 4.7l limited 2001, but I have read the following? -> CAUTION: The standard 4.7L engine uses copper core ground electrode spark plugs, they must be replaced with the same type/number spark plug as the original. If another spark plug is substituted, pre-ignition will result.

So can I use them, I see others have already, is it safe? What gains are noted?

Is there more perfromance to be gained from a K&N 77 Performance Intake Kit 77-1513KP or is the K&N replacment filter for the standard set up the way to go?

The best exhaust set up for value for money? For a CAT back system does anyone have any ideas on the best way to go? 2.5inch or 3inch? What muffler for best all round growl? etc

Finally what do we think of the King Spings? I don't want a lift really just nicer ride, I see KING do a 20mm front and 30-40mm rear lift, what can I expect it to ride like afterwards, I do have alittle body roll, but not that bad, do the spings make a 'NICE' ride difference..

Finally I think I have read everything within this forum wrt these issues, I am looking for new comments on the above not redirections to other threads if possible

Thx
Old 28-05-2008
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Re Suspention..... While the Spring s will make a difference get good shocks Ie Bilsteins and some beefy sway bars that will make a huge difference..

Re: Power They do a Blower kit for the 4.7lt that with a Decent exhast = Fun
Old 28-05-2008
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NGK iridium spark plugs are fine but i didn't notice any gains in power or fuel economy - i think the only advantage is that they last longer i.e. will perform better for longer

people seem to think the pod air intakes help if they're set up properly i.e. so that they only get cold air
Old 28-05-2008
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Be warned, pod air filters usually increase induction noise & will only give small performance gain.
You can also get larger throttle body, TB spacers,various pcm tuners,tubular headers ,camshafts,ported heads it just depends on your budget.
My exhaust, replaced pipe from cat to muffler (oem 2.25") with 2.5" pipe & replaced muffler with 2.5" straight through type.The exit pipe I left as its already 2.5".
This system was cheap, sounds great (nice throaty burble down low with angry growl higher up,but never annoyingly loud) & I believe works well tho I have only seat off pants proof.
Old 30-05-2008
asp_777
Visitor

The K & N Filter are not worth it. I've had mine in for a while now and will replace with original in next few days. They do little to improve either economy or power. None that you can notice any way.
Old 30-05-2008
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with asp777 I had one fitted as I do a bit of dirt road driving after the first trip I pulled the K&N filter out to clean and noticed that a lot of dust was on the engine side of the filter so I cleaned everything and made sure that the filter was fitted correctly and checked after a few K,s down a gravel road and yes there was the dust on the wrong side of the filter so I removed and cleaned every thing again and replaced with the paper one I had removed for the K&N drove home and rechecked there was no dust on the engine side of the filter so the K&N went back and I am now sticking to the paper filters, not worth the risk and no noticeable improvement in any way
Post New Thread  Reply