Recovery Kits - For Newbies - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2010
Super Moderator

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Recovery Kits - For Newbies

Thought this could be helpful...
Mods can this be a sticky? Mods can you please keep it on track and only about Recov information/kits?

Guys I thought we should throw up a thread about Recovery information and tips and tricks... maybe already done somewhere and there is heaps of posts on this stuff as well...

But I run a 2010 JK Sport, my 1st 4x4... only been off road a few times...

I always take
1) Bushranger 9000KG revcovery kit
* Snatch Strap
* 2 * 11 ton shackels (D type)
* gloves
* heavy "trow over" to help stop damage if the snatch brakes
2) Army style 3 fold shovel
3) small hatched (Tommy hawke)
4) Stanley small piece set, Torx, Phillips, Flathead and both metric and imperial sockets

To get before next outing
heavy hammer

I dont have a winch yet...

What do you guys carry?
Old 16-11-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

I have had good results with the below setup, I should probably add a shovel to the list but always forget to grab it from the shed.

Snatch strap
Shackles
Tree trunk protector
Hand winch
Old 16-11-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

hi lift jack and thick slab of wood(piece of kitchen worktop) for a jacking plate

edit
can't forget tyre deflator and compressor

Last edited by JoeJeep; 16-11-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 18-11-2010
Greying Nomad

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Good starting kit, but a few extras would help.

1) Bushranger 9000KG revcovery kit
* Snatch Strap
* 2 * 11 ton shackels (D type) 11 ton? Way too big! Your snatch strap will break at about 9-10 ton, those shackles won't fail until you get to about 60 ton or more! Get some 3.75T or 4.5T shackles which are much lighter and easier to handle.
* gloves
* heavy "trow over" to help stop damage if the snatch brakes
2) Army style 3 fold shovel If you can fit in a long handled shovel they are much easier to use. I've seen one which has the handle in two pieces for easier storage and plan to get one myself.
3) small hatched (Tommy hawke)
4) Stanley small piece set, Torx, Phillips, Flathead and both metric and imperial sockets Tool kits aren't normally considered as recovery gear - if you want to know what to put in a toolkit, that's another thread all by itself!

5) Tyre deflator and air compressor - you'll be surprised how many situations you can just drive out of if you have the right (lowered) tyre pressures.

6) Maxtrax - fairly expensive but worth putting on your wish list.

7) Winch and winch accessories - now you're getting into the big league!
Old 18-11-2010
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

all of this plus one major thing SOME ONE ELSE IN ANOTHER TRUCK. If your attempting anything that could be trouble or your skills are still basic (being a newbie)another truck can be great. Or let people know where you are going, your path and your approximate time of return etc
Try get involved with a club, learn how to drive your truck, and learn what others do in situations. Watch and Learn, we have all done it since we where kids, we can still do it =D
Old 18-11-2010
Super Moderator

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the arb deflator... nice as... poor excuse for a compressor but it works... need to upgrade the compressor.

I am concidering making some maxtrax type setup to help if/when I get bogged...

just checked shakles... 4.5ton bushranger brand
Old 18-11-2010
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

recovery gear pah!! its a jeep not a tojo