steering wheel doing funny things - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-08-2010
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default steering wheel doing funny things

i woke up this morning to find the steering wheel on my 96 XJ is now about 90deg out of wack . to drive straight the two horns are vertical instead of horizonal, no play in steering, or noise, i used to have a click somewhere in the steering but that stopped by itself months ago.. maybe something to do with that.. . really weird, it drove and parked find yest... any ideas ?? b4 i start pulling off the steering wheel.. it wouldn t bother me except i cant see anything on the dash when driving straight..
Old 25-08-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

And your blinkers wont auto cancel at the right time!

Over night this happening is a little odd mate, mine did it when I replaced the suspension. You can easily fix it using the instructions on the gojeep website(but it appears to be down). The steering rod can be shortened or lengthened to correct the angle of the steering wheel(the rod connects to the steering box). No need to touch the steering wheel.
Old 25-08-2010
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Usually blinkers cancel every 1/4 turn of the wheel on the return to center. But odd to have occured overnight.
Old 26-08-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, my blinkers wont auto cancel properly, ether. thanks ill have a look on gojeep website . .
Old 26-08-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Mine did the same one day after I was forcing the wheel around in a sticky spot while 4wding. Same thing as the steering felt as per normal but the steering wheel was 90 degrees out. I took it to Hammonds at the time and got them to do a wheel alignment and I got them to fit an adjustable track bar and they gave it back to me all OK. I still to this day have no idea what went wrong
Old 26-08-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yeah mine did something similar too when it got stuck on some half-buried logs, only 45 deg' off on mine and a nasty "toe out" issue... off to fix it tomorrow
Old 27-08-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

fixed
both bolts on the adjustable trackbar were loose !! i turned the sleeve till the steering wheel lined up, then did the 2 clamps up super tight.. i ve had lots of bolts come loose recently. one on the steering box, the four on the fly wheel and now this, all in total succession. im getting ready for the next one .