CJ6: Jeep 68 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default CJ6: Jeep 68

After using the Buell 01 X1 for the daily commute for 8 and a bit years, I felt that the law of averages were mounting and more and more near hits happening almost daily where drivers did stupid things and nearly take me out in the process.
The search for 4 wheeled transport had found Corolla’s a Ka and few others and all had one thing in common. No personality.
I do now realize just how spoilt I have been on the bike that has personality in spades. Decision time was approaching when a CJ6 came on the market. After some research it was decided that it couldn't hurt to go and have a look. Could it?
It was a pretty neat package to look at with fairly good paint apart from a few minor chips, no major oil leaks and 50,000 miles on the clock. The dealer said he can get the previous owners contact details for me and it was left at that for the time being. I did ring Des who was quite exited to talk about the 6. He said he bought it from a bloke who was working on with his son as a project and had stripped it back to metal and done the paint including the rust proofing of the chassis and all the underside of the tub. DES then bought it and rebuilt the motor and replaced many of the bolts with stainless amongst other things. The motor had done about 3,000ks since and sounds it.
Very smooth with no knocks or rattles at all. In fact it sounds and runs better than the son's new 202.
Some more research and I was hooked. This would be a great replacement for the Buell. And considering I had A long wheelbase Suzuki in the past I know what to expect in regards to performance and practicality.
A few weeks later and the deal was done and I picked it up, got it home and immediately gave it a bath. A good wash is a great way to go over the whole machine and find those minor details the inspections did not find. Apart from a few paint chips and a small split in the front left guard, all was good.
Took the wife for a spin out to Nudgee beach and was concerned about how low geared it was. It was revving quite hard at 70. Once back home the levers were tried and found to be in low range *doh*

With the new found speed the left rear was vibrating terribly. Looking up the manual sourced from a second hand bookshop, I needed a pulled that I did not have to inspect the wheel bearing. It was found however that the wheel nuts were loose. After tightening, the vibration was significantly reduced, but some remains that I now suspect to be the uni joints. Not being naturally mechanically savvy, I'll have to get some help to identify what uni joints they are and have a new set on hand before removing the old ones. If vibration still exists I'll move on to balancing the drive shafts and then the engine, gearbox and transfer case mounts

Some pics
http://s964.photobucket.com/albums/ae125/Buell42/Jeep/
Old 07-09-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Weekend 2

The electronic dizzy I purchased on eBay arrived and not til it installed it did I find that a suitable coil would also be needed. Once installed a timing light got it running sweet. Now there is no fear of a splash of water stalling progress and pretty much maintenance free.
The bikini arrived from Quadratec and was installed in 20 minutes. It was at this time it was found that the home made roll bar is too high and too far back for the top to fit and work most efficiently.

Last edited by buell; 07-09-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Weekend 3

Got a bit done this weekend and feel pretty proud.
Installed a new wiper arm that arrived from SC Jeep Parts in the US.
The oil pressure sender was leaking and being a brass fitting gave it a quarter of a turn so not to over do it and wait and see if it's enough.
Got the VDO water temp gauge working. Still like to get the original working that is combined in the Speedo. Not sure what to put in the hole that will be left when the gauge is removed at this time. Maybe amps but the final decision is not yet made.
Pulled apart the blinker arm unit to see what bulb was in it that didn't work and have a go at getting the auto turn off mechanism working. The bulb is not urgent as the noise the blinker makes is enough of an alert. What was a surprise is just how rudimentary the thing is.
It's a rubber wheel that in contact with the steering wheel moves the arm back to it's home position. How simple. So after cleaning everything and lubricating the moving parts with my trusty BP Hi tide water proof grease, it was re assembled and adjusted and works a treat.
Feeling pretty pleased with myself I wondered how I can treat the 6.
It was them it occurred to me that somewhere amongst the stuff, there is a pair of 100 watt spot lights that we used on the Tarago that were very much appreciated when we lived out at Texas. They served very well spotting roos at night.
Found them after an hour or so of looking and wrenched them into place on the chassis rails just behind the front bumper for now anyway. The lights might partially obscure the parking
lights, and will not effect air to the radiator.
They look OK for now and will be wired to the hi beam when the regulator is acquired.
I am awful tempted to put smiley face covers on them.
Ran out of fuel the other day and it was a surprise to happen so quickly.
No sputter, or reduction in power, just instant motor no go.
Lucky it was close to home. When I pulled up the carpet hoping to find a loose wire, I found no wires at all and no sender unit.
It can be assumed that there is no arm and float in the tank also.
That can be a project for another weekend when the seat and the frame will have to be removed as the hole is directly under the frame member.
This has also highlighted the leaking carbie that the dealer said he put in a carbie kit.
It continues to remain true. Don't trust a dealer.
Old 07-09-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A few more pics.

The speedo reading is close to accurate according to Des there should be about 3,000 miles added to it.

The electronic dizzy and coil.

the spotties I had laying about the place. Mounted but not wired up yet.

The plate. Obviously Des had the blue plate put on. The number CJ6 2475. Ehat does it mean?
When a total of around 460 Comat 6's were made, I assume only a small number were CJ6's. Anyone got an estimate?

Buell.
Old 07-09-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sometimes, and I mean sometimes, I like my job.
Just been issued an iphone 3g.

Now thinking of connecting it to a dock and using it as the sterio.
That way I can keep the dash looking as if it still belongs in 1968 when I find an old radio that fits the empty holes already in it.

It would be nice to have the connection hidden but accessable. More thought into that later when I get more information and options.

There is room in the footwells for speakers.

Anyone already done this?

Buell
Old 07-09-2010
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

You can get original look radio with usb input.
http://www.vintagevibes.net/
Old 07-09-2010
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

very nice straight cj6