Installing diff locks - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-09-2002
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Installing diff locks

:D :D :D

Happy day today, just payed off my car loan so its time to get in debt again.

I want to buy diff locks for both front and rear axels. Just wondering if anyone else here has done it themselves? And if you have how hard was it, do you need any special tools, any tip etc.

Or should I just pay the extra and let them install them?

Cheers
Old 23-09-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fud,

If you are talking of air lockers or detroits that require a new carrier, they are best left to experts. Even then I had troubles so choose carefully.

If you are talking lock-rights or other ones that fit inside the existing carrier, these can be done yourself as they require no messing about with adjustments.

Of course if you are a mechanical expert, then I am sure you will be able to do either type.

What sort of lockers do you have in mind? I have air lockers front and rear.
Old 23-09-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry bout that, I'm looking at installing ARB Air lockers.

I currently have 3 years of instrument/electrical experience; so installing the compressor, wiring, switches, solenoid, and tubing shouldn't be a problem.

But my mechanical experience is very limited, eg oil changes, spark plugs, basic service stuff.

Should I get them to install the lockers, and I'll do the rest.
Old 24-09-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Fud,

Since you aren't an experienced mechanic I recommend having the carriers installed professionally, The consequence of bad install is wear/replace on R & P, I just had to replace my rear ones after the howl got too loud after 50K. Take plenty of time and make sure the installer warrants against howling R & P, They may want to inspect current set up first to make sure not already worn.
BTW if you think you may want change in ratios in the future, now is the time to do it, while the R & P are out. I find 2.5TD suits 3.73 and my 30" tyres so stayed with stock gears.

I had the lot done by experts as this gives best warranty coverage and saves a lot of hassle. I figured in the scheme of several $K spent a few hundred was the least of my problems.
BTW I got the air up kit too... best thing [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you are doing the ancilliaries yourself i can tell/take pics of how mine was done if that is any help.
Old 24-09-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm definately keeping the stock gears, can't afford to change ratio's and tyres at the moment.

Saving up for a six inch lift, once I get that the tyres and ratio's will be altered.

Do you need make any alteration to the rear diff. I thought it was an LSD (limo rear) or something like that. Or does installing the new locker carrier get rid of the LSD properties of the rear diff?

If you cound post those pictures it would be much appreciated. The hardest part of the job is trying to work out where to start. Might still let them do it all, my time is precious, [img]graemlins/headspin.gif[/img]

Cheers DXJ
Old 24-09-2002
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Fud,
If it were me i'd wait til you have got the dosh to do everything (regear etc).

I'm a fitter by trade and tho I have the know how to do it all I don't have the tools eg dial gauges etc.

FWIW, I got a price of $1k from ARB to install the lockers and $600 from WA Diff Centre. Both are very capable and wil have a warranty to cover the work they do.

Personally I'd hate to spend the money on the gear and stuff it up on the install and have no comeback.....
Old 24-09-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

When you install air lockers you lose the LSD. It is removed completely.

On the plus side I find driving on dirt, it is fun to try locker in/out and feel the change in handling. With locker on, my XJ loses a lot of its oversteer tendency, making dirt driving much more predictable.

I found the factory LSD in mine was only good for about 10..20% power transfer, very easily fooled. Locker wins hands down for traction.

Extra + + caution that you don't turn on the front locker on hard surface. Can be scary as the steering only wants to go straight ahead... thank god for power steering!

I have front and rear lockers wired separately, some installers wire so that sequence is compressor on, rear lock, only then can front lock.
I have compressor on, then either rear, or front or both can be locked.

Switches mount in console above cup holders near the console lid release.

I am thinking i will put a master power switch under the seat. Stops people playing with lockers and messing things up on road.

Compressor in mine is under drivers seat with rearward facing air outlet for airing up, access it through rear door. Makes for noisy in cab for a few seconds when the compressor comes on once in a while. I like it there because I regularly go through deep water, only place to guarantee no water uptake in the compressor.

If you fit yourself, one "trick" I noticed on mine, they piped the air dump line from the solenoids to underbody, that way oil leaks blow out underneath, not inside.

Will take photos with my paper and chemical memory camera, will take a little while to get prints and post, maybe a week or so.

Still reckon, if you are pulling diffs apart, best to get ratios done at the same time, add to that any rear disk conversion.
D35C rear axle is a C clip type meaning you have to mess with the diff every time you pull an axle etc. Mine seemed to have a "cone" washer fall out every time an axle was pulled.
Much much less hassle to do all at once, fiddling with carrier and pinion set up is an "art" of the do it once, do it right, then leave it alone, nature.

My air lockers have done 70K now and haven't had any air or control problems, just a noisy R & P, now replaced. Wouldn't drive without them now I am spoilt.

Good luck

Good luck
Post New Thread  Reply