Anyone have a ball joint press? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Anyone have a ball joint press?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone out there has one of those G-clamp looking ball joint presses that you rattle on.

I'm in the midst of replacing my upper control arm bushings and the one that's sitting just above the diff is half way in and wont budge. I made a DIY press that involves using a bolt to press but I've gone through 3 bolts and they just keep twisting in half as they're just not strong enough.

Had a few issues with the XJ but now I'm stuck on this. Would really appreciate it if someone would lend for an afternoon and I'll drop it off next day. Of course I'm willing to leave something with you for security and return it with a half a carton of beer as a thanks.
Even if you're willing to swing by while I quickly press it on is another option. I'm located in gosnells.

Pretty urgent to get this done this weekend or early in the week.

Cheers everyone.

-Ducksawce

94 XJ Sports
Old 01-06-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Think you'll find the one on the diff pumpkin is already seated correctly. They sit out about 10 mm and look like they aren't in properly.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 01-06-2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Think you'll find the one on the diff pumpkin is already seated correctly. They sit out about 10 mm and look like they aren't in properly.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Hey Dave, I forgot to mention that I was replacing the bush. The stock one was rooted and the rim of the cup the rubber sits in was pretty flush on the 'diff pumpkin?' (i had no idea that's what it was called lol). I can't seem to get it where it was. Now as far as I could get mine through, the side that has that rim, looks as if it's sitting about 11mm out. The other side sticks out roughly about 2-3mm so far. I though it has to go all the way through, or I was trying to at least have them even on both sides.

Thanks for your reply.

-Ducksawce

94 XJ Sports
Old 01-06-2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Also having a bit of trouble alligning the other end of the control arm up so I can push the bolt through, any suggestions on the best way to do this?

-Ducksawce

94 XJ Sports
Old 02-06-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
Also having a bit of trouble alligning the other end of the control arm up so I can push the bolt through, any suggestions on the best way to do this?
Do the top control arm first with the lower disconnected, this will make it easier, if need be use the stock jack to push the diff forward to get the lowers in..

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 02-06-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

sorry couldn't load a pic from my phone but this is how they sit
Old 02-06-2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
Do the top control arm first with the lower disconnected, this will make it easier, if need be use the stock jack to push the diff forward to get the lowers in..

Seems that would work, but I need it pushed in the other way. so the hole needs to go right more...

-Ducksawce

94 XJ Sports
Post New Thread  Reply