SA Beaches trip - labour weekend - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Australian Club Scene > Melbourne Jeep Owners Club
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-02-2010
Norwegian Racing Sardine

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default SA Beaches trip - labour weekend

Hi all, this will be our first club trip so we're pretty excited, I just thought I'd start a thread for any location specific tips / discussion on this trip. I was hoping to catch up with members at the meeting tonight, unfortunately work got in the way .

A couple of things on my mind are:
  • Fishing! Yes this list is in order of priority hehe. I am wondering whether time will permit the wetting of a line as I realise there's a heap of kms to complete. If it is an option tips would be appreciated as would any recent reports or fishing tales from previous beach trips
  • Gas mileage, we have a V8 WJ which has quite a thirst (and pathetic attempt at a fuel tank), I'm guessing I'll be a regular at the Beachport servo(s) by the end of the weekend. Having never driven the Grand on sand I'm a bit wary of how much more it may drink.
  • Radios: we have a 5 watt hand held (Uniden UH078SX) which came with an external aerial, I haven't yet mounted the aerial although can do so if the extra range will be required during the trip. This unit did come with a spare battery and car charger which we'll be taking.
  • Shovel: this is probably a rhetorical one, I have a Bunnings folding shovel, although we have front and rear lockers (& winch) I'm dreaming that this of any use - correct?
  • WJ/sand specific items to check pre-trip? The car is up to date with it's servicing and in good nick overall although if anyone knows of any WJ weknesses in sand please share-yes we have a fire extinguisher onboard-always!
  • Washing of vehicles: is it worthwhile to rinse of the cars after each days beach outings or just wait until Tuesday when back in suburbia?

No doubt I'll come up with more questions and hope this thread is of value to others. Looking forward to seeing you folks on the sand!

Last edited by nzdans; 23-02-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 23-02-2010
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

the grands go great on the sand Dan - no need for the lockers or winch in the sand
just let the tyres down and keep momentum and the grand will go anywhere
shovels are good
need an air compressor to reinflate tyres
sand flag and 4 m pole
doubt you'll have time for fishing its a full on weekend
fuel station will get a workout
Have lots of fun
Old 23-02-2010
Norwegian Racing Sardine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Rob,

thanks for your input!

I just pulled my Black Widow 3.0M sand flag out of it's packaging to read on the instructions that it's rated to 30 km/h max speed; I believe the speed limit at Beachport is 40km/h, is this a problem?

Shovels may be good but I suspect my little folding one may be painful if required.

Cheers.

Oh yeah, have on board compressor with the front locker, it's been tested and should keep the tyres up to pressure when required
Old 23-02-2010
Rock Munki

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdans View Post
Hey Rob,

I just pulled my Black Widow 3.0M sand flag out of it's packaging to read on the instructions that it's rated to 30 km/h max speed; I believe the speed limit at Beachport is 40km/h, is this a problem?

Shovels may be good but I suspect my little folding one may be painful if required.
test the 30km/h out and let us all know

big shovel a must long handled one - can substitute for a flag pole if you break the black widow one
Old 23-02-2010
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As Tasar said - The Grands go well on the sand, plenty of opportunity to fill up each morning at Beachport which will see you through the day.

Radio will be fine, as a 5W will handle most convoy chatter as the group doesn't get too spread out on the beach. If going in convoy on the way to beachport and you find messages are not being transmitted or received clearly from the trip leader, other members in the convoy will relay.

The longer the handle on the shovel the less you have to dive under the car to move sand if you were to get stuck. My shovel that I take each year has a meter long handle and fits in the boot. Like most recovery equipment, chances are you wont use it but when required you'll be glad you packed it. I have only used mine once in the last 5 trips.

Not sure on WJ precheck - perhaps if bdash sees this thread he might have some advice. He's done the trip a few times in a Grand.

Most people just wash their vehicle at the end of the weekend, as this provides a better opportunity to give it a proper wash. Also the trip home should shake loose some of the sand caught up underneath.

On the fishing side of things I've seen members with good intentsions pack their fishing gear, but rarely have I've seen them get a chance to go fishing. If your up early there should be enough time as the convoy doesnt often get going to 9am on the Sunday and the jetty in Beachport is close to where we stay.

Looking forward to the weekend, Beachport is always a highlight of the MJOC calendar

Edit: A 3M flag mounted on bullbar is fine. The occassional flag flies off at speed but a couple of extra cable ties will stop that happening.

Last edited by D.M.; 23-02-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2010
Norwegian Racing Sardine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well here we are on the eve of the drive.... yes the eve, I saw the new Saturday meeting time of 06:30 then beach start @ 14:00 and figured I'd rather pace myself. We'll be staying in Hamilton Caravan Park tomorrow night (major nostalgia trip as I lived there as a tyke and haven't been back since) so should keep fresh and ahead of the group.

For anyone interested (in joining us) we'll be packing a surf rod and a couple of smaller rods, bait and lures. I'm also bringing an R/C car as (I'm that way inclined and) have been itching to try out my sand paddles.

Will be flagged up, deflated and looking forward to meeting the groupetto at Carpenter Rocks Sat arvo!!

As I had no suggestions on a pre-check I got the diff fluids changed (was due after mods), wanky ARB D30 cover fitted & my IRO front rotors & Bendix pads are now on, feeling good.

In case nobody noticed...

... I'm excited.

Oh yeah, got the full sized shovel, thanks for the tip Dan.

Last edited by nzdans; 04-03-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2010
Rock Munki

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

i think you'll find some jeeps there with you for sure

I know of 2 others doing that or similar
Post New Thread  Reply