purchasing commander - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-09-2008
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default purchasing commander

In the process of purchasing 2007 jeep commander for towing large horse float for endurance riding which my wife is involved in. Are there any dramas that i should be aware of as i have always been big nissan man. Commander in question is a 3ltr deisel 2007 model.I will be looking to have it lifted and air bags fitted to rear and wide as possible tyres fitted.I live in qld,would i be able to get this work done here. thanks for any possible feed back
Old 09-10-2008
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry no-one has replied to your questions. We've just got back from an extension to the jamboree trip.
The commander will easily pull the big loads without an issue. Have a search through this forum and there are a couple of stories about people towing huge caravans. We tow a t-van, and now we have poly airs in the back there is no problem. With the horse float, you probably wouldn't even need to install the bags, if you are able to use a load levelling system. With the t-van, we can't use one, so had to go for the air bags.
You can easily access a 2" lift, now from a number of sources. The standards seem to be spring lifts from ARB or Dobinsons or a spacer lift from Rocky Road. You can also go with new shocks from Bilsteins, OME or Rancho.
Re tyres, you can do what most of us have done and go for the 245/70R17, which are one inch bigger than standard. There are a couple of guys on here with 265 tyres, but you need to trim the bolt that protrudes into the wheel well, and you may still have some rubbing issues. There are some threads on here about that, that may be worth reading.
We have a DP chip in ours, which increases the car to 185kw and 550NM, which may help with the towing side of things. We can easily sit on 110kms/hr cruising up and down those big hills on the F3 near Sydney, which most others towing, or even not towing seem to have troubles with.
I can't advise you on the legalities of the whole thing in Qld, but if you keep your mods fairly minor you should have few problems.
Let us know if you need any other info.
... and shame on the rest of your commander owners for not answering his questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
In the process of purchasing 2007 jeep commander for towing large horse float for endurance riding which my wife is involved in. Are there any dramas that i should be aware of as i have always been big nissan man. Commander in question is a 3ltr deisel 2007 model.I will be looking to have it lifted and air bags fitted to rear and wide as possible tyres fitted.I live in qld,would i be able to get this work done here. thanks for any possible feed back
Old 10-10-2008
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks For That. My Wife And I Have Purchased The Jeep And Are Very Pleased With It. We Actually Argue Over Who Is Going To Drive.once Again Thank You Ben & Fiona Corbett
Old 10-10-2008
Rock Munki

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

well done you'll love the power compared too the nissans - have fun in your Jeep
Old 13-10-2008
AJOR Silver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
Thanks For That. My Wife And I Have Purchased The Jeep And Are Very Pleased With It. We Actually Argue Over Who Is Going To Drive.once Again Thank You Ben & Fiona Corbett
Yes, my wife certainly get annoyed when we go on holidays and I drive "her" jeep. We've been very happy since we've got ours, so hope you will be too.
Post New Thread  Reply