WH Towing - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-09-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Default WH Towing

Has the WH any issues heavy towing using cruise control?
The WK owners are suggesting locking in 4th and no cruise control?
I am towing 2800 kg and just set it on D @ 90 klm / hr.
Any problems? Like new gearboxes?

Copied from the caravaners WK forumn

The same issue occurred to me several weeks ago after having a new transmission fitted at 71000k. Local Jeep dealer in Alice Springs doing the 80000k service said that this is symptomatic of WK's pulling heavy loads when used in D and/or on cruise control. The manual suggests not using D or cruise for heavier loads. I have since towed in 4 and not used the cruise, and had no further issue from Alice to Yulara to Whyalla into very heavy headwinds. There was no appreciable difference in fuel usage when not engaging D. The transmission fluid temp hangs around 76-80° in 4, after having hit 110° in D. Apparently the issue is constant locking/unlocking of the torque converter when in D and/or cruise, which causes fluid overheating.
Old 17-09-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Have heard of the torque converter issue but have never experienced it. I generally cruse at about 100 with the van, its only 2000kg though.
If I am in hilly terrain or a constant up hill grade I will knock it back to 4th & if I notice the temp gong over 95 ° I will use 4th but otherwise "D".
I have considered getting a trans temp gauge fitted, the type that gets the temp reading from the fluid as it heads to the cooler but haven't had the time or spare cash to do it.
Probably should its cheep insurance.
something like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Easy-To-F...-/290628079493
http://www.automatictransmission.com...p?NewsId=42067
Old 17-09-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

Hi Clarky
What's your thoughts, Is the WK gearbox the same as the WH?
I have not heard of WH mecedes transmissions failing.
Old 17-09-2013
Irok Bandit

Check out my Ride(s)

The WK 3.6 V6 petrol & the srt8 use the nag1 as well as the crd & I think they are used in the wrangler since 2011, the Dodge Nitro & the 300C so there should be plenty of spares out there in years to come.
Any box can fail but if you watch the temp's and don't flog it then all should be good, after all aren't they supposed to do 100,000 km without a fluid change

And no I have never heard of a failure, torque converter yes but not the box.
Old 17-09-2013
Irok Bandit

Check out my Ride(s)

I found these on the web, should help keep the box cooler
http://www.highhorseperformance.com/...00_p/10300.htm
http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11117.php

Last edited by Clarky; 21-09-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: broken link
Post New Thread  Reply