Who services at home? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2016

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default Who services at home?

Hi All,

Not sure who saw my last thread or not but I'm currently looking at purchasing a second hand 2011-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel... Just wondering who services their Jeep at home? I've done a few different petrol car/SUV's but have not touched a Diesel yet. Are they rather straightforward to do at home?

Are oil filters available from places like Repco?

Does anyone have the service/maintenance schedule for the 3.0 Diesel handy?

Assume oil and filter every 10,000, check all other fluids, pads and a rotation? Does the fuel system/filter require attention every service?

Cheers,

Chirs
Old 10-05-2016
I just registered

Check out my Ride(s)

I have a 2015 GC 3.0lt diesel that has 10k on it that I just had done at the dealer just cos for warranty in the future. But prior to that I changed the oil myself at home at 3k, in future I will change the oil and filter every 5k as it is a diesel and I believe they should be done every 5k. The book says every 10k but I think that's only good to get U thru the warranty period. If u think u will keep the car for a long time its better to keep 5k oil changes. I will be doing this, yes its more expensive and people say the oil now a days is better but its my car and I like it. My Holden Colarado is supposed to go 15k between oil changes but theres now way I'll do that, it gets done every 5k at home.
Old 10-05-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 301 Times in 188 Posts

Exact same deal as petrol cars. Piece of cake. "Technically" you can service your own are even under warranty. It is very rare a dealer will go to the service book unless there is a major catastrophe. Mine only has 2500km on so no service yet. I will do one at 5000km just to see the oil then may get a non-dealer to service it for a while depending on pricing. All my other cars I have just staple receipts to the service book at each service and filled out myself with no issue from couple of warranty claims over the years.

I would maybe just replace fuel filter at every 20k maximum. I personally would do every 10k due to high tolerance of common rails and their hate for dirty fuel.

Haven't checked where to buy filters yet but believe aftermarket ones are now available so maybe just have to search the forum or on the net.
Old 10-05-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 191 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDingo View Post
Exact same deal as petrol cars. Piece of cake. "Technically" you can service your own are even under warranty. It is very rare a dealer will go to the service book unless there is a major catastrophe. Mine only has 2500km on so no service yet. I
Ownness sits with the manufacturer to prove your modification or self servicing caused the warrant fault irrelevant of the fact you are not a qualified mechanic, short of some major F-up (like adding coolant instead of oil) it's next to impossible for them to prove and is typically far more expensive than replacing the entire car so they do not to bother going to the trouble.

Simply filling out the details in the service manual is enough to meet your service history obligations (ie. odometer reading, what was serviced and confirmation of checking the other items), you are not required to keep receipts (although they help with other things) or any other proof as filling out the service book is a legal document and has no requirements on who fills it out.

While we are on warranty it is also worth noting that even though the warranty might exclude things, here in australia we have additional protection which supersede any restrictions the manufacturer puts on warranty claims. An example of this is the wheel studs are often excluded, it is a reasonable expectation that the wheel studs should last the life of the vehicles warranty as they are a significant component in order to operate the vehicle. Despite being specifically excluded the manufacturer will be required under Australian law to cover any costs to change/replace the faulty studs, then the warranty on that part restarts fresh again. If it is a major component (ie. engine or gearbox) or is a dead on start (electronic goods) then you get to restart the warrant on the entire item again starting from when the item is returned.
Old 11-05-2016
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Yep, done home services.
Fuel - a pair of filters. Down under near the rear diff. Yellow plastic bleeder screw to drain water, but when I opened the filter housing more came out. Easy change over.
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/engine/2012_...uel_filter.pdf

Air - available, but changed to K&N reusable filter.
Oil- very easy near top of engine on RHS. Undo casing and change filter element.
Cabin - found a youtube video how to do it - be careful not to break the lugs on the side of the glove compartment. Mine were damaged probably from past services.

Have also had to change alternator - looked crappy job as limited access, but once I got the removal guide was an easy 4 hour job.

About to take on Front Wheel Hubs - have another post running to get advice.

Last edited by SteveA; 11-05-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 31-05-2016
I just registered

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi Steve What guide/manual/video did you use for the alternator job?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
-BFG AT KO2 265/65/18
Old 31-05-2016
Established Member

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstoy View Post
I have a 2015 GC 3.0lt diesel that has 10k on it that I just had done at the dealer just cos for warranty in the future. But prior to that I changed the oil myself at home at 3k, in future I will change the oil and filter every 5k as it is a diesel and I believe they should be done every 5k. The book says every 10k but I think that's only good to get U thru the warranty period. If u think u will keep the car for a long time its better to keep 5k oil changes. I will be doing this, yes its more expensive and people say the oil now a days is better but its my car and I like it. My Holden Colarado is supposed to go 15k between oil changes but theres now way I'll do that, it gets done every 5k at home.
Kenstoy,

Old style diesels needed a 5K oil change but the more modern diesel engine does not. I have a Discovery 2 with 2 oil filters (standard and a truck style fast spinning type) and only needs oil changes at 20K but I do mine every 10K because 20K is under ideal conditions (which we don't have).

5K is over the top for a modern DID engine - my oil had hardly changed colour at 5K.

As far as I can see the JGC has one filter per bank of cylinders and although I'm unsure of the technology, none of the modern diesel engines require %K oil changes any more.

Cheers,

DM
Post New Thread  Reply