4x4 R/C's - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Radio Controlled JEEP Action
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2002
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts
Default 4x4 R/C's

Ok Here's the deal I'm after a cheapish 4x4 R/C rig.
Although I would love a Traxxas T-maxx - it ain't gonna happen. So A few things 1. I want 4wd, 2. I want electric (I couldn't be frigged with nitro), 3. Cheap (I know this is probably the hardest)..

So what options/suggestions are there??
Any suggested models? etc??
Old 08-07-2002
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 4x4 R/C's

someone on overlander forum was selling an RC Wrangler in the for sale section.
Old 08-07-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 4x4 R/C's

Ah yes my old hobby... another money pit. I still own a bunch of cars from RC10s, RC10T pickups, Serpent 1/10th gas road cars, honda sports car (on the tamiya mini platform). One of those hobbies I'm going to get back into (one of these days) so I can never part with any of my gear ; )

Anyway back to your question well actually a question from me.... what sort of 4x4 do you want. A basic AWD car that most people race is not that expensive and you may be able to find a clear lexan body shell of the 4x4 you want to drive and just bolt it on. If you want a more realistic style 4x4 then Tamiya are probably the one to look at who make various production 4wds in 1/10th. Or go the funstyle, the old Tamiya Willies would be a blast (its only 2wd) or they also put out baby monster trucks etc. Also from Kyosho and others.

If you actually wanted to race and keep it affordable I would suggest you check out what 'stock' class there is at your local RC club - usually limits on motors, carbon fibre parts, tyres etc. Helps keep the costs down and the racing close.

cheers
MattC
Old 08-07-2002
Time to tinker

Default 4x4 R/C's

Ok the brain is fast enough to bother trying to race - What I'd really like is a rockcrawler.....HMMM 1/8 model Sniper :D

So I suppose more of the monster Truck type...
I did have a look at the Tamiya Wild Dagger. 4wd, electric and about $480 including control etc (ie basically RTR)...But this would be the ABSOLUTE max of my budget.....so I was wondering if there was anything else in that range....Prefer diff locked, 4x4 and with wheel travel :D

As for the RC Wrangler - I looked at one - but they really do seem VERY flimsy.....Ok and yes I'd probably want to modify it ;)
Old 08-07-2002
OG Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
Default 4x4 R/C's

Ok Wooders here is my 2c worth. As you know I also have a garage full of R/C cars, for the 4x4ing aspect I've alsways leaned towards "FAST" 4x4ing as I have 4 Inferno DX's and 2 MP6, both Kyosho cars.
I would steer clear of the USA 1 which I'm sure you know, and it looks like you know what you what with the T-MAXX (I want one to), I have the Tamyia Wild Willys 2 and I have to say it can take a beating, yes it is 2wd but still alot of fun. I put a decent torque motor, a decent ESC and a higher number pinion gear and the thing absoultly HAMMERS! Had to put some weight in the front to keep the nose down a bit.
It wouldn't be that hard to convert the Wild Willys into a 4wd because they are based on the Tamyia TAO3 chassis. The TAO3 chassis is also used for the 4wd subaru's and Tamyia "rally" cars. All you would have to do is get a front gearbox form one of these, about $45, and the shaft or chain to link the rear box and there you go a 4wd Tamayia Willys. I havn't done it yet as my dad is "borrowing" it at the moment.
If you want to build a FULL on rock climber I would suggest a custom framed Tamyia Clod Buster, eg you make your own tubluar frame and fit the suspension etc onto in it. You can buy hundreds of after market suspension kits for the Clod Buster and now because of the T-MAXX etc the price for parts for this has come down dramaticlly.
If you talk to me nicely I might know where there is a Clod Buster that needs a bit of atttention for around $100, this includes servos and controller. PM me if your interested, seeing I bought your Golden Eagle I thought it was the least I could do! :D
Old 09-07-2002
Time to tinker

Default 4x4 R/C's

LOL thanks Lexx - But I'll email since I don't know if the PM is working properly....
Old 09-07-2002
OG Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
Default 4x4 R/C's

I've found with the PM that you have to check your profile to see if you've got a message or not, it dosn't tell you if you've got one when you log on.
Post New Thread  Reply