UHF mic mount - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2011
TerraFlexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default UHF mic mount

I was sitting at home the other night watching some youtube videos - well one persons channel in particular, wayalif, a bloke from the USA mob PROJECT-JK

Anywho i noticed a few of the members have overhead mounted UHF radios, attached to the hand piece (i assume where the standard circle hang up piece) was a retractable wire like they use on keys/swipe pass's etc.
Once they had finished chatting, the guy just let go of his hand piece and it retracted right up to where it would usually hang up.

I have never seen this before and never thought of it, pretty smart idea and saves the dicking around hanging the piece back up. Has anyone else seen this sorta thing set up??
After chatting to a mate about it, he said a mate of his has one on his handle bars of his trail bike with a sock attached so if his goggles fog up he can easily give em a quick wipe.

They are cheap as hell on ebay, thought someone might wanna give it ago

Cheers Judd
Old 10-07-2011
AJOR Gold

Liked 307 Times in 169 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Saw something similar on the Tour De France coverage on the telly. There was some in-car footage one night, they have lots of communication gear in the team cars.
Anyhow, it looked like the hand piece just stayed where it was when he let it go. It was definately on a wire and he was able to pull it down/left/right when needed but it didn't retract when let go.
Perhaps you can dial in the tension to make it stay put/slow retract/fast retract/not retract all the way??

Thought it might have been something they rigged up themselves but certainly got my attention.

Do you have a sortcut to what you found on ebay? (coz I'm lazy, ya know?)
Old 10-07-2011
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-LANYARD...item5d2a3501ae

I was think something like this, it states that it can pull up to 90g which should be more then ample.
Maybe one for swipe pass/ID's might be better as it would be lighter duty and not make the mic come flying up? unless like you aid Wes, you can tighten up and slow it down?
Old 10-07-2011
AJOR Gold

Liked 307 Times in 169 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

That's it?
Didn't think it could be so simple.
At that price it's definately worth trying.
Thanks, I wouldn't have found that.
Old 10-07-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Call me optimistic but that pos will break the first time you pull it out and when you let it go it won't retract. The springs in those Id tag and key ring things are weak as, I have one for my work id.
Old 10-07-2011
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Judd, check this one out, as used by US truckers..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gear-Keeper-Retr...item3ede95a2bc
Old 10-07-2011
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All good Wes, give it ago and let me know how it goes.

Kenny if you click the link it is a heavy duty one, rated till 90g, made for keys rather then swipe passes

Yea thats sorta a purpose made one Rod, its cool as hey, and 20bucks isnt tooo much really. I drive a truck for a living, and i think its definitely a cool idea =D