Newbie xj q's - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-01-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default Newbie xj q's

Sorry for the newbie comments, been trying looking through build threads and technicals but not much sucess ,

I have a 97 xj manual 2.5ltr , and have a pre update 95 limited with a 4ltr in it , I want to convert the 97 to a petrol , keeping the manual ,

What am I in for ? I'm new to modding jeeps , and know I'll have to get a 4ltr flywheel and clutch kit and starter motor , but what hastles am I'm going to get? Is the body control module going to stuff me up ,

Any input is more than welcome ,
Old 21-01-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 821 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermk2 View Post
Sorry for the newbie comments, been trying looking through build threads and technicals but not much sucess ,

I have a 97 xj manual 2.5ltr , and have a pre update 95 limited with a 4ltr in it , I want to convert the 97 to a petrol , keeping the manual ,

What am I in for ? I'm new to modding jeeps , and know I'll have to get a 4ltr flywheel and clutch kit and starter motor , but what hastles am I'm going to get? Is the body control module going to stuff me up ,

Any input is more than welcome ,
changing the diesel to the 4.0L will need to swap the engine loom and all the computers, but being a pre and an update, you will also have to change all the wiring over
have a read through my thread I have changed a diesel over to a 4.0L and the manual

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121146

here is the basics
1. will need a TJ wrangler flywheel (approx $140 wooders)
2. slave and master cylinder (approx $180 wooders)
3. the pedal box
4. clutch kit (I got a stage 1 clutch kit from the US for $160 posted).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170860737...84.m1438.l2649
5. a Diesel rear drive shaft and yoke (or you may be able to fit the auto transfer to the diesel box and run the auto shaft not too sure
6. a diesel cross member,
7. diesel gear box wiring (all you need is the plug for the reverse lights, the speedo and 4wd plug in off the auto loom.
8. you will need to sort out the electrics so it dosent think its in drive. you need to bridge the 2 park/neutral wires to get it out of drive. then you can un join them, on the plug to the auto you need to earth the earth wire to the body, and run the 2 reverse light wires to the diesel box. and everything works
9. sort out the transfer linkage, as the box sits back about 50m from the factory mounts.
10. finding a diesel gear box, or they are an AX15 also used in the TJ 97-05, make sure its an AX15 and not an Ax5.
11. making up a gear box mount due to it being moved back

If you have any questions or need more info feel free to ask.

Last edited by Mudmonster; 21-01-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 21-01-2014
CrawlerStar

Default Newbie xj q's

The diesel is currently my daily driver , and is complete and drivable , is the gearbox in it able to bolt up to the 4ltr ?
Old 21-01-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 821 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermk2 View Post
The diesel is currently my daily driver , and is complete and drivable , is the gearbox in it able to bolt up to the 4ltr ?
will bolt straight up to the 4.0L and the 4.0L starter also bolts up
Old 21-01-2014
CrawlerStar

Default Newbie xj q's

Would I need a different pedal box then ? And clutch cylinder setup ? I know i need the flywheel and clutch , but which bits of the xj's clutch setup would work across on the 4ltr ?
Old 21-01-2014
CrawlerStar

Default Newbie xj q's

What's the ax5.11 box out of ? How would I know if the diesel has the ax15 and not the 5.11 ?
Old 21-01-2014
CrawlerStar

Default Newbie xj q's

So the ax15 bolts up , am I understanding correctly that ur saying it mounts further back than the factory diesel position ? When connected to a petrol engine
Post New Thread  Reply