2.7 crd voltage issue - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-07-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default 2.7 crd voltage issue

Hi everyone been on this forum since buying my wg and it's been great for helping me fix the problems that have come up. However I've come across a new problem that I can't seem to figure out.

So I was driving the jeep home after a camping trip had no issues at all jeep was going well. Then suddenly it started coughing engine light came on as well as the check gauges light. At this point I notice the voltage gauge has dropped to nothing. So I tested the alternator and battery both check out fine. I changed the battery with a known good one and still no change. Went over all the connections I could find to see if there was water in them or maybe a broken wire. Couldn't find anything unusual. So I pulled the codes using the jeep wjdiag app and it came up with P0235, P0560, P0620. So this indicates a charge issue but my battery and alternator are good and working as they should? I'm a bit lossed as what to test next. Any ideas?

To get it home from where I was I just drove it in limp mode slowly all the way home. The jeep starts and runs fine but it's stuck in limp mode due to low/high voltage issue.

I've attached some screen shots of the codes from the jeep wjdiag app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190627-174259_WJdiag Pro.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	78421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190627-174305_WJdiag Pro.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	78422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190627-174312_WJdiag Pro.jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	78423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190627-174319_WJdiag Pro.jpg
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	78424  
Old 27-07-2019
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

I don't like seeing the 16v value, it's way too high.

I reckon there may be an issue with the regulator on your alternator, what's the standard charge voltage? Should be around the 13.8 to 14 volt range normally.
Old 27-07-2019
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I agree 16v is too high however with the car off battery reads 12.5v and with the car running I get 14.1v which as I understand is normal and the regulator is working fine. Hence why I'm a bit lost on what the problem could be.

I've attached a photo showing the gauge on the dash reading under 9v with the jeep running. It doesn't change at all but at the battery it all reads good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190727_144643.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	78425  
Old 11-08-2019
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

With the engine running, try putting the volt meter between the battery negative and the engine block, then from the engine block to chassis, then from chassis to battery negative. They all should read zero. Repeat with high beam on. Should still be zero.

Anything non zero indicates a bad earth, which can cause strange voltage regulator issues.
Old 08-09-2019
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Okay so I tried JeanLuke's test everything came back okay and still left me with no answers to my problem. So after a bit of ringing around I decided to buy another ecu and skim to eliminate the possibility that it could be the problem.

So while I was waiting for that to arrive I found a thread mentioning a similar issue to mine. He found the problem in the wiring under the battery tray. So I pulled my battery tray out to have a look and yep that made things worse now I had no accelerator and all my gauges were going haywire. Definitely thought I was on to something with the wiring under the battery tray. But decided to leave it for the weekend when I had more time.

Weekend came and by then the ecu and skim had arrived so I thought heck I've got it why not see if it works. Yep fixed the problems and the jeep has been running fine ever since. I've put 1000km on it now with out a hiccup.

I opened up the old ecu to see if it was wet or had any burn chips. It was fine so I have no idea why it died in the first place.
Old 10-09-2019
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for closing out the thread. Glad you found the problem.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2022
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So rather then start a new thread I'll just add to this one.

After a couple of trouble free years the ecu died in the same manner again so at least this time I knew what I needed to replace to get it running again.

Now I need to figure out why this keeps happening and as I mentioned in my older post I removed the battery tray and the problem got worse. I suspect this has something to do with the battery temp sensor as I understand the ecu uses this to help vary the voltage from the alternator?

Any help on this would be great.

Cheers Dangus.
Post New Thread  Reply