Jeep WG 3.1td engine questions - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2021
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Jeep WG 3.1td engine questions

Hello. As a recent owner of a jeep 3.1td i am glad to be part of this community. I bought the 3.1 fairly cheap(ish) having a gearbox problem which I am going to rebuild myself.
However, I now am worried about the engine. It started with a lot of cranking when I bought it but couldn't keep idle so it shut off as son as the pedal was released. Did a short journey and tried again after few days but to no avail. It ran OK for the short time that it ran i.e no smoke, no shaking etc.
Now I am thinking of starting the proper inspections before I put money on parts.
So far I have bought new glow plugs(and new leads), injector nozzles (and few other bits) which are waiting to be fitted. Truck has 241xxx km but it is very neglected.
So I am trying to understand few points to be prepared for the work.
1. Is there any particular way to test the IP if it is good (on the car obviously). I did put a bottle at the IN hose thus bypassing the filter but it didnt seem to suck much diesel while cranking for several times.
2. If I tear down the heads, is it possible/advisable to change the piston rings too, hone/deglaze the cylinder liners, new rings and call it a day?
3. Will remove the sump for cleaning and checking the strainer so while in there, can I do other checks particular to this engine? How to check condition of connecting rod bearings?
I will buy a compression tester before I do any engine work so I am assuming the above if the compression wont show good, which leads me to
4. What is the compression spec on this engine? I have the manual but it only mentions the ratio.
Sorry for the long post but it is difficult to find info for this engine in europe. I am familiar to a certain degree with this engine because my brother has the 2.5xj and to be honest I like it for the simplicity and ease of work. The xj has been a weekend toy and neglected in many aspects but it still runs and is fun to drive so I got inspired for the 3.1. Dont like the merc everyone is after really. I am a petrol guy (so to speak) and trying to catch up on the diesel world
Thanks for the help.
R
Old 11-12-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The 3.1 didn't make it to Australia, so you may not get much help here... except for some members who are in Europe.

Sent from my moto g( plus using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2021
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,589 Times in 4,361 Posts

Welcome to the group!
Interesting engine. Basically the XJ diesel with an extra cylinder. As far as data about it, best look up data on the XJ. Cranking compression should be the same as the VM425 (XJ). I would not go pulling heads unless there is an issue with head gaskets. Unless there is a specific issue with the engine, best dont pull it down. The IP's are not normally an issue. As far as the no start, its probably got air in it. For the 425, you move the lid of the IP to adjust the idle, I assume the 531 that you have is the same. If its a manual, a tow start may help.
Good Luck with it!
Old 12-12-2021
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for the replies gents. I wasnt aware the 3.1 wasn't available in Australia. However, as far as I can tell, the engine is identical to the 2.5td xj (save for the extra cylinder). So yes, most of the data applies to both engines 425 and 531VM.
I wish it was a manual. ThIs model came with autos only. On cold days I bump start my brother's 2.5 xj manual (it is always parked facing downhill) and it is such a relief. I am not sure how to adjust the idle though as I thought that was done by the ECU since it is a fly-by wired pump. Will look into that, the pumps scare me to be honest
It makes sense not to touch the heads for the time being until I familiarise myself with the truck. After I drive it for some miles and see how it behaves but definitley will be checking the compression. Basically it's a car with limited to no history at all for 20yrs on the road. Will have to approach with caution not to become a money pit.
Cheers
R.
Old 15-12-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The 3.1TD are kinda duds, no offence. I know some people in the UK that replace heads on them frequently.
Post New Thread  Reply