Are 2011 WK2 Auto Leveling Headlights adjustable? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Are 2011 WK2 Auto Leveling Headlights adjustable?

I have a 2011 WK2 CRD with auto leveling headlights but they feel that they are set too low on low beam. Is there any way to adjust the default height that they are set to? I would estimate that the edge of the bright section on the road is 4 to 5 car lengths out in front of me.

White 2011 WK2 Grand Cherokee Laredo CRD

Last edited by mlenser; 02-03-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Removed double text.
Old 02-03-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Have a read here, it seemed to work for the guys in the states

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...nment-1252068/
Old 02-03-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks so much for the link v8_jofes. I had a quick look under the bonnet and I see an adjustment screw same as the US version so it should work. I'll try tonight after dark and let you know.
Just had the car in for its 10,000k service this week and I asked them to raise the lights but was told it wasn't adjustable!!

Old 02-03-2012
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Probably because it's not 'legally adjustable'. 99% sure they'd be set at the required level so as to not blind oncoming traffic.
Old 02-03-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemat View Post
Probably because it's not 'legally adjustable'. 99% sure they'd be set at the required level so as to not blind oncoming traffic.
The dealer didn't say that they checked the level and it was correct or that they were not allowed to adjust them - what he said was that they were "auto leveling" and NOT adjustable so I'm inclined to believe they didn't know how.
Do you know what the legal level is?
I used to park my previous cars up behind a second car at about a cars length and adjust it so it was not shinning above the boot of the car in front- this one is far below that at the moment.

Old 02-03-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Interesting - http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/n....html#low-beam

It says
"low-beam", for a headlight or front fog light fitted to a vehicle, means that the light is built or adjusted so, when the vehicle is standing on level ground, the top of the main beam of light projected is:

(a) not higher than the centre of the headlight or fog light, when measured 8 metres in front of the vehicle; and

(b) not over 1 metre higher than the level where the motor vehicle is standing, when measured 25 metres in front of the vehicle.

Also reference http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/si...sr324/s82.html

AUSTRALIAN VEHICLE STANDARDS RULES - REG 82
Effective range of headlights

(1) This rule applies to a headlight that is on at night.

(2) A low-beam headlight must illuminate the road ahead of the vehicle for at least 25 metres.

I realise they are both regulations for NT, but it's a start. Also realise that those regulations don't specify if there is a different reg for HID lights, as they may come under different rules.

I completely just stumbled across that site, may have to teach myself how to use it as there is a lot of pertinent imformation in there we could all use!

Last edited by v8_jofes; 02-03-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the part about HID's
Old 03-03-2012
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah well it wouldn't surprise me at all if they didn't know how to do it either.
It's state specific legislation but Victoria has measurements somewhere similar to the above. You just park it in front of a wall at the specified distance and adjust until the light shines on the wall at the height required.
Post New Thread  Reply