Power from the GC to jayco camper - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Power from the GC to jayco camper

I am sure this has been answered in other posts, but the stories get long.
I have. Grand Cherokee 2014, and will be setting up a Renogy 20amp dc dc charger to power up a kings battery box in the back..... to run my fridge.

The jayco 2011 eagle has a separate fuse box near the battery with an Anderson plug underneath for solar input or any other device.
Now, could I run a cable from the kings battery box straight to the Anderson plug on the jayco whilst driving, and does that need a vsr in between to stop draining the kings battery box?
Old 11-04-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 73 Posts

Before I ramble, does the van have a battery... and if so does it have solar as well?

There's a reason for asking...

Last edited by Barboots; 11-04-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,996 Times in 2,358 Posts

If you leave with a fully charged van battery why bother especially if you plug solar in once you get to camp, no need to gin about on a tug connection... If its too run your van fridge then thats another thing as it wouldn't or shouldn't run from your van battery and would require a seperate run to the battery.... Running your tug as a battery charger in camp is not a good idea either.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 12-04-2020
Established Member

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

First it is to run the camper fridge whilst driving, which can pull up to 15 amps.
When we stop it runs on the 240v or gas
I have a 100 watt solar panel on the camper roof
Old 12-04-2020
Senior Newbie

Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts

I have run a similar setup . You will have no problems running straight to your van from your bbox.
The dc dc will monitor levels and boost accordingly .
When you stop just disconnect from bbox and run you van as you’ve stated .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,996 Times in 2,358 Posts

What sort of trailer connection has your Eagle a 7 pin or 12 ?? You should find that the 12v supply to the van from the 7/12 pin will supply power to the Setek in van to charge the battery this same cable run will power the fridge but the fridge is isolated from the battery and at no time draw power from the van battery, unless someone has changed the set up thats basically a normal Jayco set up.....
Having an anderson going direct to battery I would check where it actually runs and if there is anything else tapped into the run. I would also check the 12v supply to the fridge and try to work out the where and what of it or just run a 8B&S cable form draw bar direct to fridge with anderson s to connect to a feed from the tug.

Having 100w solar on top of van then I wouldn't bother with charging from the tug be just a waste, my rig runs all the time on solar, no charge from tug or mains.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 12-04-2020
Senior Newbie

Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

When you say "The jayco 2011 eagle has a separate fuse box near the battery with an Anderson plug underneath for solar input or any other device." this raises concern as you need to know how it is wired up before you plug anything into it. Also is it for solar panels directly or from a regulator?

If the anderson plug on the front of your camper goes into a solar regulator, then no you can't do what you propose. If it goes direct to the battery or fridge, then yes.

I do run the set up you are proposing with my anderson plug being for the fridge only. Typically for Jayco, pin 2 on the trailer plug is for the 12v+ supply which powers the ESC (if equipped) and battery charging via the Setec/BMPRO unit in the camper. Pins 9 & 10 are the supply to the fridge. I removed the wiring from 9 & 10 running them directly to an anderson plug.