2010 CRD JK Blown Clutch - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-04-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2010 CRD JK Blown Clutch

Blew the clutch over the weekend. Looking at a solid fly wheel conversion from NPC.

Your thoughts please

Thanks in advance

Dark Charcoal 2010 CRD JKU

Black 99 TJ
Black 80 CJ7
Old 22-04-2013
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

go for it mate. i've done a clutch and the replacement was about 5g, way too much. these original clutches are totally suspect and the solid flywheel is a much better option. if you do another clutch down the line, a clutch kit will fix it, and possibly no need to even skim the flywheel. this kit has been tested and it works. and at $1500 it's a good price. toyota use and always have used solid flywheels with no problem, so i can't see why an expertly designed solid replacement in the jk shouldn't work. i wouldn't recommend chipping the ecu with a solid as the gearbox is weak and was protected by the DMF, but with a stock engine it will be fine. cheers.
Old 22-04-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cheers mate. Much appreciated...Since the post I am looking at ratios, bigger lift, & drive shaft and so on and so on

Dark Charcoal 2010 CRD JKU

Black 99 TJ
Black 80 CJ7
Old 22-04-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To be honest I don't get this whole thing where people say the dual mass flywheel 'protects' the gearbox??? Sure there might be a little more give in a DMF at clutch take up compared to single mass, but this is at low revs usually, below max torque, and soon after the clutch is fully locked up and operating at full torque ad the driver revs through the gear. If the gearbox was unable to handle the 410nm of torque of the crd, it would pretty soon be found out in this situation... And yet I don't know of a single gearbox issue... So I don't understand how the dmf helps at all..?

All that said, I agree the solid fly wheel option is definitely the way to go! Its definitely what I'd be doing if I had clutch issues...
Old 23-04-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TD beat me to it, there is still springs in the SMF conversion clutch housing for this purpose, and its worked for almost 100 years?

I have the NPC heavy duty conversion and love it mate...dont forget to order a slave cylinder too!

there is no extra vibration...just free'ed up torque
Old 23-04-2013
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll throw this in,

From LUK website.
Modern engines can be driven at extremely low rpms. The trend is toward ever increasing engine torques. Wind-tunnel-optimized bodies are creating less wind noise. New calculation methods are helping reduce vehicle weights and weight-saving concepts are boosting engine efficiency as well. The addition of a fifth or a sixth gear can also reduce fuel consumption. Thinner oils are making precise shifting easier. In short: The sources of noise are increasing and natural damping is decreasing. What has remained is the principle of the internal combustion engine whose cyclical combustion processes excite torsional vibrations in the drive train – the unpleasant consequences of which are gear rattles and body booms.

Drivers who are accustomed to increased comfort no longer accept such background noises. The job of the clutch is now more important than ever – in addition to engaging and disengaging, it must effectively insulate the engine’s vibrations. Physically, this is easy to solve: The mass moment of inertia of the transmission must be increased without increasing the mass to be shifted. This dampens the engine’s torsional vibrations and brings about the desired comfort level. The process reduces load on the transmission at the same time.

It's all in the name
LuK was the first manufacturer in Europe to develop and sell a dual-mass flywheel in large-scale standard production that was able to realize this physical principle. The name says it all: The mass of the conventional flywheel was simply split in two. One part continues to belong to the engine’s mass moment of inertia, while the other part now increases the mass moment of inertia of the transmission. The two decoupled masses are linked by a spring/damping system. One clutch disc, without a torsion damper, between the secondary mass and the transmission handles the engaging and disengaging functions. A favorable side effect is that the transmission is easier to shift because of the low mass to be synchronized, and there is less synchronization wear.
ps LUK have the world patent form what I've seen.

Last edited by Big Unit; 23-04-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 23-04-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Default Re: 2010 CRD JK Blown Clutch

Im curious to know how u "blew" the clutch.. did it just go randomly or what?
Post New Thread  Reply