Wheeny Creek Saturday 20/08/2016 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Organise a Trip in your state > New South Wales
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-08-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Default Wheeny Creek Saturday 20/08/2016

Wheeny Creek Saturday 20/08/2016
Hi,
I am running a trip Wheeny Creek this Saturday. We still have a couple of spots available for anyone wanting to attend. It has been kept to 12 vehicles attending due to the nature of the track. It is a "B","B+" run.
Basic requirements are 2" lift, good A/T or M/T tyres, side rails/sliders, radio etc. There is possibility of damage and some winching may be required so recovery points F/R needed. The track can deteriorate quickly if there is any rain about.
Meeting at Richmond Macca's at 7.45am and departing at 8.00am
If interested please post up here or on the SJC website in the trips forum. There are 5/6 spots available presently
Stephen T.
Old 15-08-2016
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Minimum 35s now Steve if you wanna make it to the end. I know you talk about picking lines to make it but there isn't any chicken tracks in the harder sections.

The track is 15 kms, not 5.5 kms, takes all day especially with that many Jeeps with a mix of capabilities and experiences.

It is tougher and harder than Mt Airlie.

I wouldn't go if it's wet as you risk damage and all possibly major recovery.

Other than that, have a wonderful time there, always a favourite spot.

Cheers
Old 15-08-2016
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvokka View Post
Minimum 35s now Steve if you wanna make it to the end. I know you talk about picking lines to make it but there isn't any chicken tracks in the harder sections.

The track is 15 kms, not 5.5 kms, takes all day especially with that many Jeeps with a mix of capabilities and experiences.

It is tougher and harder than Mt Airlie.

I wouldn't go if it's wet as you risk damage and all possibly major recovery.

Other than that, have a wonderful time there, always a favourite spot.

Cheers
Hi Tyvokka,
Stated it's a "B", "B+" run so it gives an idea of the track condition.....
I did it last week as a reccie for the run and had corrected myself regarding the distance of the track on the SJC site being 12.5Kms either way with 5 + Kms of easy "C" grade before the fun begins..... I will can the run if there is any rain at all prior to the run due to the real possibility of damage but there are only 2 1/2 of the 8/9 climbs/decents without a bi-pass around them though they are becoming difficult as well now..... Road building skills will be utilized to get people through/out.... long wheel based rigs will be at a disadvantage due to rutting etc............. 33's will have the same issues as those with 35" or bigger tyres but as stated, side rails/sliders are recommended for those wanting to attend the run..... I have all day so time is minor but it also depends on how many other rigs are there on the day and how many rescues we will have to do of them of course being in Ricer's as usual........ So it will be up to who really want to go as to the risk of possible damage to their rig's............ I will decline to take a stocker through there though due to the nature of the track....... Cheers...............
Old 15-08-2016
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

You reccie'd it all the way up, did ya? Awesome. Did it solo recently on a dry day 35s, long wheel base, made it all the way, no winching. Coming down was harder as I was tired and complacent, so bumped the slider and skid plates hard a couple of times to no damage though.

Did it a year ago with a cruiser, hilux, patrol and a landy, one of each almost. We got up the last hill, then only the hilux followed. Damaged the windscreen from a flying rock and rear tailgate as I lost brakes and slid back luckily into a gum tree..
Old 15-08-2016
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvokka View Post
You reccie'd it all the way up, did ya? Awesome. Did it solo recently on a dry day 35s, long wheel base, made it all the way, no winching. Coming down was harder as I was tired and complacent, so bumped the slider and skid plates hard a couple of times to no damage though.

Did it a year ago with a cruiser, hilux, patrol and a landy, one of each almost. We got up the last hill, then only the hilux followed. Damaged the windscreen from a flying rock and rear tailgate as I lost brakes and slid back luckily into a gum tree..
I went solo as well to the end lookout........... About the 3rd last climb, got stuck briefly with my right rear wheel going up against a tree (only bloody one on that climb), but managed to free myself by driving up it an inch or two then all the dead branches came crashing down around me but all missing the TJ luckily but the tree itself will not take much to bring it down completely if someone leans to hard against it, oph's my bad..... Termite damaged anyway which helped.......... Coming out was fun, letting gravity do its work but had to test out the new panhard bracket and cross support fabbed up by Dave Woodley (Wooders) but then I ran into Jumbo (old SJC member) and Mick Collins son (Jeremy I think) whom I had not seen for many a year since he was a young tacker getting some hours up on his "L's".....Small world at times.......

Last edited by SteveT; 15-08-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 21-08-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts

Trip done and dusted, big thumbs up to Steve for organising this and guiding me through, turned out there was only the two of us, so it was a nice leisurely cruise to the look out and back, no problems, issues or winching, just drove there and back. Great day!!

"That's a pretty permanent solution to a temporary problem"

Last edited by Rocket55; 21-08-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 21-08-2016
Established Member

Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Any photos?
Post New Thread  Reply