This will end in tears. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 37 Times in 28 Posts
Default This will end in tears.

Had the wrangler in for it's 100k service last week. $1570 quoted so knowing how big this job is we decided to get the service done at the nearest dealer to SWMBO's place of work. She is actually a qualified mechanic but hasn't done it for 20 odd years. I wanted it done by a truck mechanic near my work but as she pointed out it's not that hard.
We had the car there at opening time so they had the full day. She rang them at lunch time to get an update to be told they had just started the work on the timing belt. She rang me to give me an update and I told her she wouldn't have the car back that night. She rang the dealer a couple of hours later to be told she wouldn't have the car that night.
Gets the car back the following night and drives home, all good. Goes to work the following day no problem BUT on the trip home after work the thing dies within a few hundred metres of the dealer. She has managed to coast off the road and turned the ignition off. She was on the phone to me at the time and the first symptom was poor u connect, all I heard was "the car is f*^%ed" a heap of strange static noise and then dead.
She restarts it after a few minutes and goes directly to the dealer. They drive around the block and put her in a loan car and send her home.
That was Thursday night and it has been with them since. They are now saying it has a fuel blockage and keep referring to metal in the system.
I'm telling my partner to remember two words, first word; bull.
Old 12-12-2016
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 116 Times in 94 Posts

What engine? Pentastar 3.6l has timing chains, which don't need to be replaced at 100k.
Old 12-12-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 116 Times in 94 Posts

Actually, just realised even 3.8l had timing chain. And the 4.0l in TJ was chain driven. Not requiring replacement for well over 250k miles.
Old 12-12-2016
Established Member

Liked 44 Times in 32 Posts

By process of elimination I'd say its a CRD then, which has a timing belt which needs 100k replacement.

Fair enough on the 2 word bull call, but whats your theory on what the issue could be then? timing belt skipped a tooth?
Old 12-12-2016
CrawlerStar

I have suspicions but no proof. What worries me is the reference that the service manager keeps making to metal in the fuel system, a sign that petrol has gone in. This is not the case of course.
She has also been told it could be a relay? A crushed fuel line? All sorts of things. They just don't know.
I asked for the fault code when I spoke to the service manager but he couldn't tell me.
Old 12-12-2016
Established Member

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

So it was running essentially fine, then Jeep pulled the front of the engine off, and now it's busted. I think I would share your suspicions. Metal in the fuel? Pull the filter, cut it open and inspect it. What are they even suggesting by metal in the fuel? How is that a suggestion of petrol in the system?

I'd at least access the timing belt and ensure there is tension on it so it couldn't skip a tooth. Then, if it is misaligned there's only the possibility that it was installed incorrectly.
Old 12-12-2016
CrawlerStar

Diesel fuel pumps (high pressure) tend to wear quickly without lubrication.
But yes, the car stopped less than 100 km after major service.
Has not given any trouble for the previous 100,000.
Post New Thread  Reply