KL 18" TO 17" Wheels, yes or no? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KL Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-10-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Question KL 18" TO 17" Wheels, yes or no?

I own a KL Cherokee Limited Diesel and would like to fit 17" wheels to give me a better/bigger choice of AllTerrain tyres, we tow a small camper trailer and often travel on unmade /gravel roads so slightly higher profile would be an advantage! The tyre placard states only one size for this model? Any thoughts or advise or discussion welcomed!
Old 13-10-2017
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

That should not be an issue at all. They all run the same brakes and most models run 17in. The Trailhawk rims have a slightly different offset though and would stick out past the stock Limited plastic flares, but any 17 in non Trailhawk rims would fit fine. You may also though want to stick a lift in to allow a little more clearance between the tyre and the lower front spring perch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 15-10-2017
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thank you seacomms, I wasn't aware the Trailhawk had a different offset to the Limited the offset on the Limited is 40 what is the Trailhawk offset?:
Old 19-10-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KL
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Zip. I did what you want to do a couple of years ago -- see pics here. (I think you will need to be logged in for the pics to show.)

I know nothing about wheel offset, but I can tell you there is no protrusion outside the bodywork of the car. The Trailhawk rims are only 1/2 inch wider than the 18' Limited rims, so I think the crucial factor is more the width of the tyres, rather than the rims. I went for 225/65 (note the spare tyre in your boot is a 225/60 R17). We did try 235/65 in the tyre shop, which looked great, but there was (arguably - without using a plumb bob!) some protrusion beyond the bodywork, so I decided to play conservative. The wheel arch also started looking a bit crowded at that size (almost rubbing at full lock).

After 46,000km in the past two years, I'm very happy with the decision I made. Only issue has been getting rid of the 18' rims -- they're still sitting in my garage!
Old 20-10-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I too have a Limited with 18" Chrome Wheels. I'd also like to fit 17's to it as there is so much more choice of A/T Tyres plus they are so much cheaper. I've located an additional steel spare wheel (17X7) and am looking for another 2.

Alternatively a set of 17's would be great but the configuration of our wheels is very limited PCD 5X110. In fact our models are pretty much the only models these wheels fit. All other Jeeps are a different PCD
Old 21-10-2017
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks guys for your interest and comments regarding the swap to 17' wheels, the discussion came about after discussing a change of tyres for my KL Limited Diesel which after 65000klms needed new ones! The gentleman at the local Bob Jane outlet looked at the tyre placard and shook his head stating correctly I believe, that because the label doesn't list an alternative size wheel for the Limited model, lawfully he couldn't/wouldn't fit 17'' tyres to wheels fitted to my Jeep?
Post New Thread  Reply