Stuck with front runner roof rack install - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 107 Times in 68 Posts
Default Stuck with front runner roof rack install

Hi all,

My front runner rack arrived and I have been attempting to put it together. I’ve run into an issue where the corner pieces don’t quite fit - and the way this thing is designed that’s a show stopper.

The holes to screw the corners to the end slats just don’t line up. I’ve tried every corner piece on every corner of the rack, I’ve checked to see if the rack is square or on a slant and that doesn’t appear to be an issue. The rack was so intricately packed, with little notes in every box to say it had been checked, so I’m sure there is some sort of operator error here. Has anyone got any ideas? Any help appreciated!

You can see from the photo that it doesn’t look flush either. In this pic, there are two corners on that fit perfectly but the others are off. This pic is the worst one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frontrunner Roof Rack
Offroad Animal Front Recovery Points and Nudge Bar
Old 07-11-2017
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

It’s a bit hard to work out what has gone wrong here from that one photo, but I do understand your frustration. I just put together a Titan Tray rack made by Rola roof racks and it was challenging in some parts. Just did it very slowly and double checked every step before proceeding and finally got it done.

It’s similar to yours but plastic corners and mounts onto my existing Rhino Rack bars. I think someone else mentioned this but the existing mount points for the Rhino rack legs don’t seem to strong! Front rail has two screw holes but the rear rail only one?? It’s all tightens down nicely and feels very solid with the Titan Tray fitted but in the back of my mind are those three screws on either side holding the whole thing down...

See how it goes. The Titan Tray was a lot cheaper than other well known brands and looks and feels just as high quality. Most accessories will cross fit with it as well.

I’d say that there is a simple mistake you have made along the way.. maybe pull it all apart and start again?

Last edited by Hoppy99; 07-11-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2017
CrawlerStar

Yeah, as you say I’m sure there is something I’ve done wrong along the way. I might try swapping the end pieces around tonight

Frontrunner Roof Rack
Old 08-11-2017
Established Member

Liked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi, yea I think I ran into the same issue when I was putting mine together, from memory I was not putting the corner piece in the right way up.....I think.
It was a bit fiddly though it should fit together perfectly. Good Luck, really happy with mine.
Old 08-11-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have the front runners which I purchased from a guy used. So mine were obviously put together already.

Let me know if you need any photos. What I did noticed was my tray side rails are not fitted identically on each side(length). What i mean by that:

For example, from the back view sides..
LHS(Long + Short piece). RHS(Short piece + Long piece). Does that make any sense to you?

Perhaps try that out and see if the corners line up. What this means is that the "warning" sticker will end up on the Rear of the car on one side, and the other on the Front end of the car.
Old 08-11-2017
CrawlerStar

Thanks all, I actually had another go at it this morning without much luck but I’m sure I can solve this issue. The guys at opposite lock said that they have never had an issue with a single rack and I’m inclined to believe them. There is not one skerrrick of negative feedback or anyone bringing up a similar issue, online.

Very frustrating but looking forward to having it on. I can see all of the attachments will become an addiction. They all look so cool!

Frontrunner Roof Rack
Old 08-11-2017
CrawlerStar

Thought it was worth elaborating with photos taken of each corner this morning after I’d swapped the ends around. Just on the off chance someone who is better at this stuff than me can work it out. Because the design is so exacting, even half a mil of difference makes it impossible!

Frontrunner Roof Rack
Post New Thread  Reply