Leaky catch can - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-08-2023
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 128 Times in 76 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Question Leaky catch can

Morning brains trust,

My newish oil burner has now become an oil leaker.

For the first time in I don't know how long, my garage floor has oil stains!!!!!!!! I know right, shock horror.

I reckon it's coming from my pro-vent catch can.

The hoses have quite a few right angle joints which are held in place with zip ties. Not ideal I know.

HAs anyone had this issue?

At least I won't have any issue with rust....

Cheer in advance.
Old 13-08-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 257 Times in 141 Posts

I get the occasional drop as the tube fills up with oil waiting to be released. Not Provent but Flashlube. Good oil will always find its way through the stop valve.
Old 13-08-2023
Established Member

Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

The blokes I've spoken to over the last few weeks while sorting out my issues have said to avoid catch cans on these, apparently they can cause oil leaks in various spots.
Old 13-08-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,973 Times in 2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
The blokes I've spoken to over the last few weeks while sorting out my issues have said to avoid catch cans on these, apparently they can cause oil leaks in various spots.

I think if the valves on some types jam shut they can cause a pressure build up, plastic set up with a spring that could dislodge and jam the thing, I just dismantled the valves on mine so its all open, could see no reason for them as originally the hose was free flowing, had the odd leak from a poor hose connection, just replaced the zip tie, leak form the drain hose I fitted as I broke the tap, otherwise all good.... drain every service get about 100ml or so..
My old can job on the WG and Colorado(a VM engine) I stuffed full of SS Wool and had the inlet plumbed to the bottom and outlet at the top, worked very well indeed, better than this fancy job I have now.... some sort of Provent type.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 13-08-2023
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 128 Times in 76 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hmmm, thanks for the replies fellas.

I just checked the website and note that the new catch cans come with pre-formed hoses. I've email them to see if I can order these separately, I think this will help heaps.

Old 13-08-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,973 Times in 2,345 Posts

They owould make things neater, did think of looking at the hose rack at auto stores but too much stuffing around so just used some oil hose and garden irrigation elbows... I would prefer to just vent the thing but they spit oil everywhere.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 13-08-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 257 Times in 141 Posts

I see from the pic the Provent has the same tap. Yep, that’s the little bugger 99.9% doing its job but lets you know if it’s holding oil when over concrete.
Post New Thread  Reply