WK2 Issues - Flogging a dead horse - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-04-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 304 Times in 190 Posts
Default WK2 Issues - Flogging a dead horse

Brains trust,
Going through getting a list of things I need to sort for my 2015 limited as getting to 100k km and plan to keep car for a good while still as owned from new. Common preventative things to look at:
1. Valley Hose
2. Oil cooler
3. Oil cooler coolant return hose? Think this is the z hose?
4. There was one other hose I can't remember

I have a mystery oil leak from back of engine that leaves a drip on floor intermittently. Couldn't find anything so have cleaned the whole area and will check again soon but thinking maybe oil drain for turbo has come loose? Any other thoughts?

Please chime in with list of hoses if possible?

Thanks in advance
Old 28-04-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,158 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDingo View Post
Brains trust,
Going through getting a list of things I need to sort for my 2015 limited as getting to 100k km and plan to keep car for a good while still as owned from new. Common preventative things to look at:
1. Valley Hose
2. Oil cooler
3. Oil cooler coolant return hose? Think this is the z hose?
4. There was one other hose I can't remember

I have a mystery oil leak from back of engine that leaves a drip on floor intermittently. Couldn't find anything so have cleaned the whole area and will check again soon but thinking maybe oil drain for turbo has come loose? Any other thoughts?

Please chime in with list of hoses if possible?

Thanks in advance

There is another PITA hose behind the engine near the Turbo as the Turbo bearing is water cooled...could be the source of your leak as they are known to weep. That one is difficult to get to as well...of course!

So there are 3 crappy hoses, the Z hose near the oil cooler, the dreaded Valley hose, and the Turbo coolant hose...all 3 can give grief.

The Oil Cooler failure is an each way bet...will it keep going or will it fail?

Was talking to a bloke down at 7 Slot this morning who had his 2014 Overland in for oil change...his said his has clocked over 240k and he hasn't had an oil cooler issue...there you go...
Old 28-04-2023
Full Flexer

I'm hoping the fact my engine cover and heat shields have been off since day dot, my hoses might be ok. I can see the z one and one next it (think oil cooler hose from memory) and they show signs of dried goop at the end of the hoses so the sealant has worked for now.

My leak is oil not coolant but it is s bloody hard to see up there on your back with a torch.
Old 28-04-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,158 Times in 613 Posts

I have read that the back coolant hose may need that false firewall bit removed to give better access...

I had my last Jeep get a tiny oil leak back there...I was worried it may have been between the 2 sump sections as that is another not uncommon leak point on the VM.

In my case it turned out to be the oil feed to the Turbo, again not uncommon, it just had to be nipped up a tad and was fine after that...
Old 28-04-2023
Full Flexer

Mods maybe delete this thread please?

It won't help anyone really. For some reason my search didn't come up with anything this morning but I have since trawled and found all the threads with the hose information.
Old 28-04-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,988 Times in 2,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDingo View Post
I'm hoping the fact my engine cover and heat shields have been off since day dot, my hoses might be ok. I can see the z one and one next it (think oil cooler hose from memory) and they show signs of dried goop at the end of the hoses so the sealant has worked for now.

My leak is oil not coolant but it is s bloody hard to see up there on your back with a torch.
I have a similar very small weep from back of engine, I suspect its the oil drain from turbo as its just a drain with a dicky seal on engine..... I'm with you on the cover and heat shield rubbish being removed might be a help, seemed to work on the WG...

Oil Cooler since its common across the board on many vehicles I'm thinking the same as I did with the WG's, will I be replacing it with one thats dicky and chucking a good one ???? or what....... regular oil change, making sure correct coolant and blend.....

Valley hose I'm waiting to be inspired to do it myself or flush enough for a holiday at the gold coast and give it to 7 Slot.

The oil cooler hose is a Commodore job supercheap SCA-CH2280C and trim to length...............

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply