Turbo Return Coolant Hose. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-02-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 133 Times in 83 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Turbo Return Coolant Hose.

I have managed to summon up the courage to do the "Hose from Hell"!..
I watched the video from GDL a couple of times, took notes and stripped things back successfully until there it was in front of me, down in the bottom of the valley.......so far so good. I found the hose to be in excellent condition, MY14 100000 kms, so was happy with that but have replaced it with blue silicone hose anyway, as you would.
The quandary is, do I try and replace the turbo return hose as it seems to be in an almost impossible spot to get at, especially as the valley hose was still in 1st class condition?
Are there any special techniques to doing it if I decide to try, or do I just leave well alone??
I would appreciate any input, especially from those who have done it!
Help!!!!
John.
Old 16-02-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Mate you've gone this far DO it and be DONE with it, maybe even look at the oil cooler hose, (someone even mentioned a trimmed back commodore heater hose fits as it has the correct or near enough to it required bend )cheers
Good to see some pictures if you took any also any helpful info no matter how trivial

Last edited by OLMATE; 16-02-2023 at 07:14 PM.
Old 18-02-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 259 Times in 142 Posts

If your doing the rear engine water turbo coolant line (not valley hose) would like to know how you got to it. Its certainly less prone to fail but I'm having trouble even seeing it let alone replacing. I know to remove the first firewall bits for greater access but any techniques from there is less known online unfortunately.
Old 20-02-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 133 Times in 83 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi Mousie, I did it today, and it certainly is in an unfriendly spot.I used vice grips to pinch each spring clip and then slid them off the end of the hose.I did undo the little bracket above it that has some sort of sender and plug attached too it and a metal pipe going away from it around the back of the driver's side bank of the V6. This gave me a little more room to get the grips onto the clips.You can only move this bracket a tiny bit but it is enough. It is held on by 2 little 8mm bolts from memory. The hose then came off easily leaving the clips sitting on the ends of the pipes just back from where the hose ends were. I cut a piece of the same blue silicone hose that I had left over from the hose from hell I replaced the day before and used it to replace the the old one which was still in very good condition as was my hose from hell. I again used the vice grips to clamp the spring clips and place each on the hose ends. The blue silicone hose easily bent to fit with no crimping.....it is much more flexible than normal rubber hose.It was fiddly but ended up easier than I thought it would be.
Tomorrow I tackle the Z hose to the oil cooler and I am using a cut down Commodore hose for that. It will probably be in good condition like the others but I will still do it as I am doing the coolant obviously, at the same time.
The nerve-wracking part will be restarting her when all is done, hoping that everything is back and tightened up as it should! I should have taken photos as I went but I was so engrossed in what I was doing.
Mine is a MY14 Laredo with only 100000km on the clock, but I was not willing to take the risk of one of the hoses going as it is almost 9 years old.
Hope this helps.
John.
Old 21-02-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,975 Times in 2,347 Posts

Im in the same position, will I ? won't I ? be a workshop job as one hand gone to hell now so something finicky like that could leave me stuck Im not gonna start ..............
Hope it all just runs smooth when you press GO...........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 21-02-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 259 Times in 142 Posts

Johnnywal, thanks heaps for this as I was always trying to figure out from the passenger side to rear engine and not the drivers side for some reason. Will attempt that one in a few weeks time and have the same 100k MY14’ just for piece of mind. The tips certainly will help, thanks
Old 21-02-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,157 Times in 612 Posts

Well done mate! Hope all is good when fired up...