Catalytic converters - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-08-2007
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converters

Hey guys.
I smashed up my cats (one of them a lot worse than the other) and the computer is telling me that one of them is no good, so i guess this causes poor economy and low power.
What's the cheapest type to replace it with? I need to replace the whole system as currently it hangs too low - gets me hung up on stuff and gets bashed, so i want it to be cheap and nasty. Alternatively, should i just put up with it until i get a whole new exhaust?
Cheers
Mat
Old 23-08-2007
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have a look at the exhaust - see if you've got o2 sensors after the cats, if you do going cheap and nasty could cause problems. The o2's after the cats monitor that the cats are working properly which cheap cats probably won't do. (Does that make sense - the word cat is possibly overused!)
I've got a 2001 TJ which has a "post cat o2 sensor", ADR's didn't require them to be used till 2006 but regs in the USA would have required them heaps earlier.
Old 23-08-2007
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm not entirely sure... i think it might and given that the computer is telling me it's operating below efficiency, i'm guessing it must.
Old 23-08-2007
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well was just in at midas and the guy there reckoned that having one out of two cat's blocked up is very bad for the engine. He said 1 bank of cylinders will run lean and may cause all sorts of issues - think he said burning of valves or something that causes an engine REBUILD!! Scary given i've been driving it like this for 6 months!
So i'll be putting it in as soon as i get the money for 2 new cats costing about $550. The upside is i'll get an extra 2" clearance underneath and because they'll be the correct cats for the car, more power and economy.
Old 25-08-2007
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemat View Post
well was just in at midas and the guy there reckoned that having one out of two cat's blocked up is very bad for the engine. He said 1 bank of cylinders will run lean and may cause all sorts of issues - think he said burning of valves or something that causes an engine REBUILD!! Scary given i've been driving it like this for 6 months!
So i'll be putting it in as soon as i get the money for 2 new cats costing about $550. The upside is i'll get an extra 2" clearance underneath and because they'll be the correct cats for the car, more power and economy.
What brand are they, flowmaster , magnaflow.

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 26-08-2007
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not a clue.
The old ones are apparently commodore high flow cats (dodgy!!)
The new ones i don't know about, the midas guy reckoned they're the best ones to use, he said he also put them in a mercedes that day, that's about all i know. They're fairly small round ones.
Post New Thread  Reply