is this a myth? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2011
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mainly when it rains for the same reasons as mentioned before. I also found that since doing so, it has become easier to go in and out of FT4WD and not get stuck in PT4WD. Makes a big difference in the wet.
Old 05-03-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesta View Post
I reckon it can't hurt, i run it in fulltime 4x4 on the odd occasion when it rains, just to give the transfer case some exercise. There's nothing really stopping you from always having it in fulltime 4x4, as there is a centre diff so no drivetrain binding. I guess fuel consumption would go up a bit and there would be more wear on some drivetrain components..
Yesteday I drove in heavy rain, had the XJ in full time 4x4 as I have muddies on and yes it gave me much better grip on the very slippery road I was traveling on.. drove for about 25 klms, parked car, later when as I stared the car, the rain had stopped so back to 2wd mode.... as I reversed and turned steering sharply out of the parking bay, I felt a very strange sensation through the car even the misses felt it... I belive there was some binding..this contunied as I moved forward slowly and tried to turn for a few mtrs... (it felt liked a Locked up front diff), then all of a sudden the tightness/binding disapeared. I know what binding feels like as I once forgot to unlock the hubs of a Jackaroo coming off the beach then drove a few klms on the road... nearly stuffed that one ...

So yea I have heard/read this before..has anyone eles experienced this...?

cheers
Old 05-03-2011
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

while everything is always turning its still probably a good idea to occasionally select 4wd and get fluid onto the t-case bearings while loaded. i mean, how hard is it to do - you just pull the lever and drive a bit. its no drama. i reckon its even good for the u-joints and hub bearings and my theory is that under load fluids and grease will distribute in a different manner than without a load. it certainly cant hurt and as suggested lets you confirm everything is working before you really need it. i do this myself but only so i can remember what its like to actually use 4wd!

Quote:
Yesteday I drove in heavy rain, had the XJ in full time 4x4 as I have muddies on and yes it gave me much better grip on the very slippery road I was traveling on.. drove for about 25 klms, parked car, later when as I stared the car, the rain had stopped so back to 2wd mode.... as I reversed and turned steering sharply out of the parking bay, I felt a very strange sensation through the car even the misses felt it... I belive there was some binding..this contunied as I moved forward slowly and tried to turn for a few mtrs... (it felt liked a Locked up front diff), then all of a sudden the tightness/binding disapeared. I know what binding feels like as I once forgot to unlock the hubs of a Jackaroo coming off the beach then drove a few klms on the road... nearly stuffed that one ...

So yea I have heard/read this before..has anyone eles experienced this...?
sometimes you just need to go a few meters in a straight line before it will disengage - very common and not an issue

Last edited by Rodgebone; 05-03-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply