A yj ? not many around - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > MARKET PLACE > Ebay Gumtree Finds
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2011
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJ33P View Post
sure they were mass produced, just like every other model jeep out there, but they werent produced for the australian market, which makes them unique in this country.

the only wrangler you could possibly own in australia that no one else has.
You'll have to find another model then, as other people obviously have them.

Infact I see a YJ almost every day on my way to work. lol
Old 03-06-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Easy fellas,

I was only looking for advise on my CJ7 build. I've read heaps lately about swaping frames and tubs. I have yet to find someone who's built up a CJ on a YJ chassis. My biggest worry is that the CJ front clip is 4" narrower than a YJ. This to me would not look good so I am leaning toward using the the CJ frame and parting out the YJ.

The CJ has a certain character to it that I am fond of and a bouncy ride is part of it. I think I would regret putting the YJ frame under it. Call me a hypocrite for putting a fuel injected stroker and AX15 into it. I'll eat that one.
Old 03-06-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

I don't think the guards would be a problem because the tubs are the same width and the inner guard sits above the chassis, so the front clip will work. An even easier option would be to fit a CJ grill made to go on the YJ, I believe you can buy one. Don't know why you would swap the tub unless the YJ one was unusuable.
Old 03-06-2011
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: YJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As an owner of a YJ for 5 years, and now a CJ and JK, I can say that besides the better frame and springs, the YJ has absolutely no benefit to it mechanicly over a CJ or any other Jeep.

The rear axle is the same crappy Dana 35 axle used in the rear of TJs, the AMC 20 in the CJ is a far better rear end, the Aisin transmissions aren't as good as the net would have you to believe (I've had both the AX5 and AX15, both sucked).

I've had 6 Jeeps in my time, and I had my fun with the YJ, but it was the only one to give me non-stop problem after problem, and it was the least capable Jeep I've owned.

Unless you gut the thing and replace just about everything, its not worth it. In fact, it'd be better to just swap the front clip and fenders onto the CJ if you really want that rare front end. Otherwise, sell it on and get to work on the CJ.

As for the grill swaps, this has been done loads by people over on Jeepforum, but they usually swap the entire front clip (grill, hood, and fenders) because the YJ and CJ tubs are nearly identical.
Post New Thread  Reply