Replacement idler pulleys for 2.7 crd?? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Replacement idler pulleys for 2.7 crd??

I've searched, but can't seem to find any threads on replacement idler pulleys on my 2.7 crd. I traced the squealing belt noise to the pulleys and when I got them out, the bearings do feel worn (they're noisy when spun by hand).

Does anyone know where to source replacements (rather than OEM)?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Posts
Old 12-06-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 183 Times in 138 Posts

Have noticed http://www.allengines.com.au/Automotive/ has had them listed or you could try http://www.mbspares.com.au/ but you will need the MB part number, just contact your local MB dealer and sweet talk him for the number. I buy my filters from MB spares and they are a good mob.
Will see if I can find a part number for you.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 12-06-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks Drover,

While I was in there I yanked the alternator and those bearings don't sound so good either. Do you think I can simply get someone to replace the bearings or does everone want to flog me an exchange unit?

Any suggestions. Perth area.
Old 12-06-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 77 Times in 41 Posts

Are you sure the noise is coming from the idler pulley? I have had two idler pulleys replaced over a 15 year period, and I thought the noise that started to surface recently was the same...

I have been quoted $895 [Stealers] for a new belt tensioner on an XJ including labour. Hmmm ... don't know whether I can believe it even thought the noise is coming from the vicinity...

The parts and labour for the idler pulley is a fraction of this cost [even at Stealers] and barring that, I can source bearings from a dedicated bearing place.

I can learn to live with the noise.... for now. It needs to get louder so I can tell for sure if it IS the pulley or the tensioner.

Time will tell.

Last edited by eksjay; 12-06-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Posts
Old 13-06-2011
SwampDigger

Found this place with part number listings http://www.precisionparts.com.au and a good catalogue http://www.precisionparts.com.au/epcat.pdf and using the Jeep part number may be able to find listings in UK or Europe, yanks won't have any.
AllEngines have them at $220.

Old 14-06-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks for the help. After much research and checking of part numbers and specifications I eventually tracked the part down.

I didn't even bother going to Jeep (pulleys close to $200 ea last time I asked and no availability).

At Mercedes, the OE part number led me to find one unit in Singapore and some in Germany (3 weeks wait!) at $120 ea.

The nuline catalogue has the correct part 'ep253' listed yet it's discontinued and unavailable.

Finally (after Repco, Coventrys and Veale couldn't help) Auto-one were able to order me the Dayco part 89042 (I had to join their website to access the catalogue) from Wesfil and although it's not identical, it has the correct tensioner bearing, the same OD (70mm), width (28mm) and ID (8mm). $60 ea and I just have to change the bolt length. (shorter)

Good news on the alternator as well - bearings can be replaced (standard Bosch bearings) and the special 'Overrun pulley' is available (ex East). $350 all up. Lucky for me it still functions perfectly well because the repair shop don't have a suitable bench mount in order to test it.

While I was there and noticed diesel leaking from the HP pump, so I sourced and replaced the 'o'rings and special washers. Mercedes had heaps (10) in stock and the spare parts guy was actually quite helpful. I think as long as you go with the right part number it's like you're attempting to speak their language and they forgive you for having a Jeep.

Hopefully this info can help others with squeaky serpentine belt issues. Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Posts
Old 14-06-2011
SwampDigger

SMBCJ, research can be tedious but can have good results, when you fit the parts and they work okay could you PM me and I will add the part number to my parts listing, so others will have a one stop place for numbers. http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...93#post1378093

Last edited by drover; 30-04-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 15-06-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

This is the Dayco pulley (part number 89042) next to the original one. Original is on the left. By replacing the original length bolt with a shorter bolt they fitted nicely. I have printed the part number list for future reference. PM sent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	48285   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	48286   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	48287   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	48288  
Old 30-01-2012
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 184 Times in 147 Posts

I've just purchased these idlers and they are pretty close, however, the backspacing of the pulley is a little smaller by a couple of mm. I've placed a suitable washer between the bearing and engine mating surface to make sure this is as close as possible to being in the same position as the original.

I've also found the idler bearing on the viscous heat pump is noisy. Pretty easy to pull it off if you have a puller, and the bearing can be tapped out of the pulley easily. All I need to do is find someone who can sell me a replacement.

There is also one other ribbed (for her pleasure idler near the oil filter, the bearing in this pulley can be tapped or pressed out and replaced as it is a standard size.
Post New Thread  Reply