Xj engine mounts - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-10-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
You're assuming that these are perfect though....

The real test will be when I go to press in the bushes, luckily the materials were free and all I have to pay for is the LCA bushes which I already have as I always keep a full set here....

I guess I am going to need to buy another pair soon!!!
I meant your fabbed gear in general. Your slide unit looked pretty trick and because it was steel tube the weight is low compared to mine. I think you have a fair amount of inherit skill. I can make gear all day long and it rarely comes out ideal and can always be improved. From what I see you make, it appears you have already thought out any probs beforehand. When I make gear I can end up making it 2-3 times before I sort out all the things that did not work the first or second time.

Regards A
Old 13-10-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygubbin View Post
I meant your fabbed gear in general. Your slide unit looked pretty trick and because it was steel tube the weight is low compared to mine. I think you have a fair amount of inherit skill. I can make gear all day long and it rarely comes out ideal and can always be improved. From what I see you make, it appears you have already thought out any probs beforehand. When I make gear I can end up making it 2-3 times before I sort out all the things that did not work the first or second time.

Regards A
Cheers AG but the drawer/storage unit that you're referring to was the 3rd installment/attempt at getting it right for what we want although our needs evolved over the years.
The first one which I still have was a simple shelf made of plywood with two plywood legs, it just sat in the back with a tab that slid into the cargo barrier to keep it from moving around too much.
It worked surprisingly well on the Jeep's first run to Tassie, we used an esky that we just slid out manually on one side and it meant that suit cases etc didn't need to be unpacked to do anything too much.
The we bought a fridge so I built a very simple (crude) fridge slide...

This also worked well but was limited so I then sat down and had a long think about what we now knew that we needed, as the wife uses the Jeep most of the time as a shopping trolley and like tomorrow I am planning on collecting a couple of Xj doors a permanent unit was never going to be on the cards which is why I decided upon the modular system with the side storage units but when I went to mount the shelf for suitcase duty I found that the base from made from 25mm SHS was too thick so I have to make a 100% compatible base frame out of 12mm SHS so everything would still line up so I could fit it out like this...

Even then I had to remove the bag from the fridge as it just won't quite fit, if the side units were just 10mm taller it would all fit fine....

So don't beat yourself up if it takes a few attempts and I find talking a design over with others can make a huge difference as they may see things slightly different and that make all the difference....

I also have access (albeit limited access) to a wide range od metal working machinery but I don't want to wear out my welcome so I keep it to a minimum...

Cheers JJ

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 13-10-2012
MonsterMoose

I quite like your tyre carrier as it means not making a special rear bar. If you have any more pics of it, please post them up. I could get one of those made pretty cheap. Like your old fridge slides my rear unit needs improvements as I ran out of room on my last trip to Jambo.

Regards A
Old 13-10-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Yes it was a stock bumper but a lot of work behind it...

Here is the thread for it...

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=106597

Here is a link to my photobucket page for it....

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/...yre%20Carrier/

Cheers, JJ

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 13-10-2012
MonsterMoose

Thanks for that. I had a look at the thread. Now I see it is not as simple as it looks.

Regards A
Old 13-10-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
You're assuming that these are perfect though....

The real test will be when I go to press in the bushes, luckily the materials were free and all I have to pay for is the LCA bushes which I already have as I always keep a full set here....

I guess I am going to need to buy another pair soon!!!
the real test would be if they could with stand me.... might attempt to make a set myself... once i fix everything else
Post New Thread  Reply