Best load carrying springs - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-08-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Best load carrying springs

Anyone got a recommendation for rear springs that can handle a fully loaded jeep at around the 3 inch mark? Maybe I am asking too much out of a spring with the following without air bags...

1. Rear bar mopar approx 40kgs
2. Rear tuffy storage approx 40kg's
3. Long range tank with fuel approx 110 kg's
4. rock rails approx 40 kg's
5. 55 ltr water bladder 55kg's
6. enough stuff for a 4 week trip to the cape 200kg's
7. also has front mopar bar and winch and dual batteries

I'm assuming a bunch of people will probably want to add that the above may exceed the GVM and they may be right but it doesn't fix my spring issue...

cheers

Andrew
Old 21-08-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Air bags for sure. Otherwise when you remove some of the gear it will either be 6in higher or so stiff it rattles the windows out.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 21-08-2011
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

times 2 mate. i use airbags in my jku when i have it loaded up. they work a treat.
Old 22-08-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 75 Times in 40 Posts

this is sort of similar to a point I raised in another thread....

what coils / shocks combo CAN you install that would firstly carry the weight of a fully loaded JK, plus be confortable to drive and wont skip and skittle all over the place? Then take most of the gear and passengers out so you can have a "fun" flex day and it will still drive OK....?

I haven't liked the idea of airbags in the past, but it may warrant another look.

At the moment the HD Tough Dog coils carry everything OK, but I need to vary the setting on the adjustable shocks to control the comfort levels and drivability on road depending on what weight I have onboard.

????????

Old 20-04-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ha, found a very old read of mine. In case anyone is interested the Firestone airbags have worked a treat. Bill at DBOR got me a set that are matched to fit the PPM springs and the kit is very complete even coming with an exhaust shield for the spring closest to the exhaust pipe. The flexibility for rear load carrying is now virtually unlimited. We are now on a 12 month trip around OZ and two months in they have been worth their weight in gold. 25PSI when we started the Simpson crossing with 155ltrs of fuel, 95 litres of water, three weeks worth of food not to mention all our kit for 12 months and the car rode great. When you chew through the supplies (like now we are due for petrol, water and food...) dropped them down to around 17 and it softens the ride nicely.

I also can't quantify the pressure they have taken off the springs, shocks and diff itself for some of those unseen washouts etc in some off the faster dirt roads and thousands of Kay's of corrugations... If you tour, well worth the 350ish price and simplish DIY install in a few hours.

Cheers

Andrew
Old 21-04-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got aev 4.5 inch springs, they are great for carrying weight. I've got a arb rear bar, steel sliders, 35 inch spare and had a full tank of diesel then I went and put 200kg of concrete in the back plus a few tools, might have droped down about 10mm. I can still compress them to the bump stop offroad, there a little stif when empty but nothing I cant live with.
Post New Thread  Reply