WH rear view camera - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-05-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Default WH rear view camera

Hi all,i have just ordered a rear view camera and screen off Ebay for my 2110 WH to make hitching the van up easier,i was wondering if the camera will plug into the jeep screen instead of the ebay one? I know anything to do with jeeps is never that simple or if it is even possible,any info would be more then welcomed thanks in advance,
Mike.
Old 17-05-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
Hi all,i have just ordered a rear view camera and screen off Ebay for my 2110 WH to make hitching the van up easier,i was wondering if the camera will plug into the jeep screen instead of the ebay one? I know anything to do with jeeps is never that simple or if it is even possible,any info would be more then welcomed thanks in advance,
Mike.
Wow Mike!! Back to the future!! A 2110 Jeep.
Old 17-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Damm!! my fat fingers:hammer
Old 19-05-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I have seen on E-Bay for $116.99 a 7" GPS/wireless reversing camera combo with lifetime maps and hands free Bluetooth.
For that price why get just a reversing camera, or just a GPS, or just a hands free kit. And wireless means not spending all morning taking the car to bits to run a wire from the dash to the tailgate.

What I would like though is to work out how to wire one to my reversing lights so that it works automatically. My existing camera does not do that.

It's a NSW E-Bay seller offering a 2 year warranty and free delivery -
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-Car-GPS...item3cc5edf3d4

Is your WH Grand a Navigator model with a GPS on the dash? The only way to wire a camera into my WH would be by replacing the stereo with an after market unit.
Old 19-05-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 243 Times in 129 Posts

Short answer No.

Even hooking up the factory camera to the factory unit if its not done at the factory is very difficult. Stu went through this with his WH.

Save the headache and either replace or run the ebay one beside it etc.
Old 19-05-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post

What I would like though is to work out how to wire one to my reversing lights so that it works automatically. .
How is yours currently wired. Normally they have a trigger/power wire that is hooked to the output off the box or the reversing lights themselves.
Old 19-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Thanks everyone for your comments,i did'nt think Jeep would have made a mistake and make something easy for me,i'll just run it with its own screen,as it will mainly be used as a reversing camera i will hook the camera into the car reverse lights.I looked at the wireless camera for the van but they can suffer from outside intreference from traffic lights,auto doors on buildings.