Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think? - Page 12 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-09-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMeat View Post
For those that wonder why law abiding firearms citizens get super annoyed when more restrictions are placed on them: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-2...lunder/4031190

Just one of the failings at the border - yet the law abiding citizens get reamed even more...

GariJ, not trying to pick a fight here, but can you please let us know what you had to go through to get your bow - which, when you break it down - is considered a 'weapon' just like a firearm - and if not a weapon, please justify

Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Walk into the store and ask for that bow please mate!

There are no restrictions on them and I'm pretty sure a 12 year old can buy one without a license as well. When I was in my local fishing/camping shop I asked about them out of curiosity and the bloke behind the counter was telling me about how no license is needed or anything, just buy one and use, I think he could tell I was surprised! (That was before I got into shooting or anything as well)

Especially seeing as they can reach out further than some .22s and are very quiet.
And again, airsoft and air rifles are illegal to boot

Check it out;
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_o...0837&_from=R40

Last edited by aido_3927; 29-09-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 29-09-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep another pro gun member here......took the Jeep and the shotgun out to the forestry yesterday

IMHO NZ has the best balanced gun laws
Old 29-09-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
Yep another pro gun member here......took the Jeep and the shotgun out to the forestry yesterday

IMHO NZ has the best balanced gun laws
I'm buying a Jeep to further my shooting hobby

Should have one at the end of this week in time for the long weekend hopefully.

Please tell me it's an awesome vehicle for it haha!

Also agreed about NZ. Met a Kiwi couple on a Contiki trip I just got back from so early next year I'm flying over there to his girlfriends dads station to hunt all sorts! Keen.
Old 29-09-2013
StaunStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts

[QUOTE=GariJ;1416619]It would be a shame to have a subject deleted that has provided healthy and polite adult debate.. Having said that I find it interesting you feel the need to have your point of view heard prior to wanting the post deleted due to its limited worth.

Aido 3927
The statistics are not bound to the family unit. Having a gun in the house raises the chance of injury because it is there. If the gun is in a house in a court the entire court is statistically at a higher risk, the more guns the greater the risk.

this statement only holds true for the non law abiding citizens. if the firearms are stored and maintained according to the regulation there is no possible way for anyone other than the owner to have full access to the weapons. (i refer to Qld weapons licensing regulation)
Where the firearm and the bolt and the ammuntion are all stored and locked separatley.
And i have read they maybe introducing trigger locks as mandatory as well.
I can only speak from my situation and there is no way on earth anyone but me can access my firearms to cause harm by discharging them

Finally fil.
Saying “Guns don’t kill people; people kill people.” As though this somehow settles the whole gun control debate is over simplifying the issue.

yep, it does, its black and white . A firearm cannot harm, unless a person has loaded it and pulled the trigger

It’s an argument with no conclusion? What are you saying? That there should be no regulation? As in my previous post a Barrette 50 should be a legal item?

Why should it not be legal? witha legitimate reason of course.

You also listed a whole host of proximate objects that could be used to kill people. But you are forgetting they are not designed for killing. Unlike the gun. Only a small percentage are manufactured for non-lethal means. I’m unaware of any cars, rocks or body parts designed to kill.

not "designed to kill" but by design can be used to kill is the point. A firearm is simply an instrument, what you choose to do with it is the issue.

Regarding your source for statistics come on mate. 60 minutes? Next you will be quoting A current affairs. I mean peer reviewed journal papers, scientific literature.

i think you missed the point here, this was not meant to be a source for statistical information, i was justdrawing your attention to an alternate view on this discussion. Mandatory ownership.

I find your points of view to be interesting considering you are a bow hunter and the two are not that unlike. I have often wondered why i can go to a fishing tackle store to source my archery needs without any need to show a license or permit and the total opposite when i need to buy ammunition or a new firearm. Same type of instrument "designed to kill".
I also have wondered why there seems to be a variation or separation between a compoud bow and a cross bow. In Qld, you need a firearms license to own a dn operate a cross bow, but not any other bow.
Maybe because it looks like a gun they got a bit scared.
Old 29-09-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aido_3927 View Post
I'm buying a Jeep to further my shooting hobby

Should have one at the end of this week in time for the long weekend hopefully.

Please tell me it's an awesome vehicle for it haha!

Also agreed about NZ. Met a Kiwi couple on a Contiki trip I just got back from so early next year I'm flying over there to his girlfriends dads station to hunt all sorts! Keen.
yeah its a good bus

1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo its mostly for dirt roads and slightly rough tracks as most of my hunting and other pass times involve me walking etc

i am not big into "4wding" as such any more as it costs lots and if you dont have 35's or similar your not going many places down here any more

have fun in NZ....its a one day dream for me to get there.....Hunting and Riding

Cheers Steve
Old 29-09-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat756 View Post
They aren't cowboys. Semi autos are perfectly legal under the right licence. There is however a difference between semi auto ( fires once each time the trigger is pulled) and auto (pull and hold the trigger and the gun continues to fire until the magazine is empty). As said previously, FULL AUTO HASN"T BEEN LEGAL IN THIS COUNTRY FOR DECADES. Semi auto still is legal, just more restricted than before 96. / ..........

That little fact needs to be repeated often .. and loudly ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aido_3927 View Post
Walk into the store and ask for that bow please mate!

There are no restrictions on them and I'm pretty sure a 12 year old can buy one without a license as well. When I was in my local fishing/camping shop I asked about them out of curiosity and the bloke behind the counter was telling me about how no license is needed or anything, just buy one and use, I think he could tell I was surprised! (That was before I got into shooting or anything as well)

Especially seeing as they can reach out further than some .22s and are very quiet.
And again, airsoft and air rifles are illegal to boot

... and a slingshot, is illegal in most states ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
In Qld, you need a firearms license to own a dn operate a cross bow, but not any other bow.
Maybe because it looks like a gun they got a bit scared.

Seems back in '96 when the rules were bought in ... and a 5round magazine capacity, pump action shotgun was deemed still "legal" ... The "scary looking", 8round magazine capacity version was not "legal".

Scariness is a big factor in our firearms legislation ... particularly "scaremongering" ..
Old 29-09-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,976 Times in 2,347 Posts

Well said Carves, I've been around weapons all my life and really sprouting the Yank quotes of liberty just makes me laugh, nobody seems to quote the UK's right to bear arms and they have gun laws similar to ours.
Why anyone would need an AR15, AK47 or any sort of assault rifle in civvy street beggars belief or for that matter carrying a pistol to go shopping.

Need one to defend your property against intruders, BS......if you have had to draw a weapon against someone, I assure you it's not like on TV, it doesn't do you a lot of good.
Better off move to somewhere nice.
I'm licenced and while it's a pain to go thru, it may stop some nutter.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply