Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think? - Page 24 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgp2 View Post
Blaming a piece of metal for the action of a human being is ridiculous.
I owned guns for more than 30 years, shoot 4K of ammo every year never shot anyone, my guns must be defective....
Worked as a range officer in many shooting range including machine gun shoot in the US.

Bringing up US foreign policies in this debate make no sense( or the colour of a firearm).

I respect the choice of an individual in not wanting to have firearms, but do not presume to tell me what I should own base on your fears.

The reasoning of some individuals in prohibiting the presence of a firearm in some premises and being surprised by these violent actions in the same premises baffles me.

Mass shooters are coward and will act in an area where they will not meet any opposition.

When a gunman start shooting in a school , the first thing you do is call other gunman(police) to resolve the situation.

I love your country, enjoyed the landscape and the hospitality of your countryman, but I would never reside and submit to these laws.

Glad to hear you are happy in this environment.
I fully respect your point of view mate.

BTW the Australian news is so boring. No mass shootings for years, only one policemen per year killed on duty, only 1 person murdered per day. Boring stuff my friend. And we have plenty of people who hunt regularly.

If you structure your laws properly you can actually make the world a safer place without taking away the peoples right to own guns. You don't let people drive without proper training and a license, and a proper type of vehicle that is safe in public, because it is dangerous to do otherwise.

The same should apply to gun ownership. Just a pity that the NRA has brainwashed enough rednecks to think that any change in the law means "the government is gonna take our guns away and turn us into slaves"

Ha ha, you are the slaves of the industrial complexes already, why worry about a government that can't even stay open?

Have a good day.
Old 10-10-2013
AJOR Gold

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think?

Quote:
Blaming a piece of metal for the action of a human being is ridiculous..
I'm not. At all. But to suggest that piece if metal plays no main role is equally ridiculous.

Give guns to whoever can prove they should have one. But vet the hell out of everyone first. Because whilst the 'baddies' will work around the laws, the reason we don't have massive gun deaths year after year is because most will never have access to one. It's very hard for someone who could kill with a gun to kill with one if they don't have one.
Old 10-10-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausjeeper View Post
I fully respect your point of view mate.

BTW the Australian news is so boring. No mass shootings for years, only one policemen per year killed on duty, only 1 person murdered per day. Boring stuff my friend. And we have plenty of people who hunt regularly.

If you structure your laws properly you can actually make the world a safer place without taking away the peoples right to own guns. You don't let people drive without proper training and a license, and a proper type of vehicle that is safe in public, because it is dangerous to do otherwise.

The same should apply to gun ownership. Just a pity that the NRA has brainwashed enough rednecks to think that any change in the law means "the government is gonna take our guns away and turn us into slaves"

Ha ha, you are the slaves of the industrial complexes already, why worry about a government that can't even stay open?

Have a good day.
I assume you know Canada is not the USA

Canada is similar to NZ in its gun laws....once again better than Australia they still have their semi autos
Old 11-10-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 95 Times in 63 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I'm not. At all. But to suggest that piece if metal plays no main role is equally ridiculous.

Give guns to whoever can prove they should have one. But vet the hell out of everyone first. Because whilst the 'baddies' will work around the laws, the reason we don't have massive gun deaths year after year is because most will never have access to one. It's very hard for someone who could kill with a gun to kill with one if they don't have one.
"Bad guys" haven't seemed to have much trouble getting hold of guns in Sydney, Adelaide and even Melbourne lately. It's only luck that they haven't killed many people yet (or just piss poor aim)

Prohibition only stops law abiding people from doing something. Criminals will do whatever they want anyway
Old 11-10-2013
AJOR Bronze

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat756 View Post
"Bad guys" haven't seemed to have much trouble getting hold of guns in Sydney, Adelaide and even Melbourne lately. It's only luck that they haven't killed many people yet (or just piss poor aim)

Prohibition only stops law abiding people from doing something. Criminals will do whatever they want anyway

Well actually, while certain groups of criminals have no problems getting guns and the ones who can get guns, can get plenty, the majority of criminals can NOT get access to guns. Ben raises some good points.

In places like the states, South Africa and other places with high gun violence, it's not the organised crime gangs that are such a big issue. It's the "Heat of the moment" criminal. Guy looses his job and goes postal. Person finds their spouse cheating. Can't find a job, got no money. Road rage escalates..... Just a few examples why we have lower gun crime.

In those countries with gun crime,they allow every Tom, Dick and Dirty Harry to own a gun for "Protection". It also opens up opportunity for anyone to have a very bad day or even very bad moment and that to have a deadly outcome.... Which could have been avoided, if the person had time to cool down and find another course of action.

I am all for people having the right to own a gun but I think their needs to be very strong laws and rules around who owns them and why they own them. The guns should be kept very safe with minimal access. Regular checks on the owners. Is it still valid they own them? Do they still need/use them as required? Are. They still mentally competent to own the gun?

I totally support people's rights to own guns. I don't support the right for EVERY person to own a gun or for any old stupid reason they feel like.
Old 11-10-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat756 View Post

All the mass shootings in the U.S are not committed by members of organised crime. They are ordinary members of the public who pull these horrific acts for a number of reason, depression, mental ailment, revenge etc. They are able to commit these acts because it's ridiculously easy to obtain the weaponry they need.

That level of accessibility doesn't exist here. The standard argument that "Gun's don't kill people, people kill people", and then to proclaim that cars can kill people is so asinine. How many mass killings are committed by offenders driving cars..........or using anything other than a gun..

2008 JK // 2.5" AEV lift // 285/70/17 Bighorns // 17inch MT Classic Black III // TJM Front Bar
Old 11-10-2013
AJOR Bronze

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Blaming a piece of metal for the action of a human being is ridiculous. - Is it so ridiculous? Because I can make my finger pistols and say pew pew but no one dies. Stick I real gun there and they do. The gun can't kill without the human true but the gun is designed to kill. Make no mistake about that.. It's not JUST a piece of metal.
I owned guns for more than 30 years, shoot 4K of ammo every year never shot anyone, my guns must be defective.... - Very dramatic and exaggerated but OK. I think it shows YOUR not defective?
Worked as a range officer in many shooting range including machine gun shoot in the US.

Bringing up US foreign policies in this debate make no sense( or the colour of a firearm).

I respect the choice of an individual in not wanting to have firearms, but do not presume to tell me what I should own base on your fears. -Well, when what you want to own has the potential to impact to fatally on the rest of society, I think society has every right to an opinion and voice that opinion.

The reasoning of some individuals in prohibiting the presence of a firearm in some premises and being surprised by these violent actions in the same premises baffles me. - It's more about limiting the potential for deadly outcomes on a more regular basis.

Mass shooters are coward and will act in an area where they will not meet any opposition.

When a gunman start shooting in a school , the first thing you do is call other gunman(police) to resolve the situation. - Sorry but this is possibly one of the stupidest comments I think I have ever heard. We call "A LAWMAN. A law enforcement officer to enforce the law. They are only arm out of necessity. We do not go "Hey, they dude has a gun and shooting people. Who do I know with a gun who can kill that sum bitch". We call the cops who happen to be armed......

I love your country, enjoyed the landscape and the hospitality of your countryman, but I would never reside and submit to these laws. - I loved all my visits to the states and Canada. Have family in Canada and planning to go back again soon but I would never reside there and expose my family to the high potential to gun violence...

Glad to hear you are happy in this environment.
- Ditto my man... Ditto