TCM swap - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-09-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default TCM swap

Has anyone else swapped out their standard KJ TCM for one from a Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi? (as per the LOST forum) I've been pleasantly surprised with the differences, especially my torque shudder disappearing! It's certainly cheaper than a GDE TCM tune! It seems to use boost more effectively rather than dropping down a gear or shuddering. Thru the gears, it's a lot nippier. My fuel economy has def improved over the last tank, and it's so good to have it stick in top or 4th down to 1300-1400 rpm. I've also snipped my Pin 11 wire, which had already improved things somewhat... Anyone else tried this change?
Old 20-09-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

Can you just swap the tcm without causing any communication problems with the other modules? Can it be done with the ecm?
John
Old 21-09-2014
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by senatorjohn View Post
Can you just swap the tcm without causing any communication problems with the other modules? Can it be done with the ecm?
John
The tcm from the Dodge Ram will slot straight in, with no mods or communication issues with the other modules, ONLY if you get the one with the correct model number. Have a look thru the forum info over on the LOST site
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...hp?f=5&t=70718 I've had it in for about a week now with no issues apart from the 'training' of it. It's the best thing I've done since I had the GDE tune installed! Re the ecm, that's a different story- you need to match the model number, then take it to a jeep dealership to have it reflashed for your vehicle. I had to buy a 2nd-hand ecm after I fried mine experimenting
Old 21-09-2014
CrawlerStar

Thanks for that eskymo.What did the exercise cost with the replacement ecm? So it is possible to get a secondhand one flashed to match another vehicle? I have a barometric sensor / inlet pressure sensor conflict at present and am working through the problem. New sensor behaves the same as the old ones out of my two CRD's, circuits to computer are ok, so looks like computer may be at fault. Fault finding info in the manual seems a bit incorrect so that does not help. How did you actually fry your computer? Just by hooking up one from a different KJ of same specs should not have caused any problem like that I would think. Can you access the components in the old computer without stuffing it?
Regards
John
Old 22-09-2014
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

hey John, I was trying out different home-grown tunes and didn't realize that the GDE tune I have is encrypted, so it wiped one tune and then refused to identify anything else. Lesson learned! When I want to change ecm tunes I have to swap out the gde, install my original, and then install the tune I want to try... A 2nd hand ecm for my 2005 crd limited cost me $800 + postage, but I think I got ripped off! Once I had the 2nd hand one from the same year model, the jeep dealer reflashed my vin number and original tune into in and away we went, another $260 lighter. If you got another ecm for yours, i don't think you'll have any issues reflashing to suit your vehicle. Rob
Old 22-09-2014
CrawlerStar

Thanks for that Rob.
I like playing with these things but do not like to stuff up. Trying to get as much info as I can. Have thought if you get all the modules that talk to each other from the one vehicle, you should then be able to swap them into other vehicles of the same specifications and same communication protocol. Apparently jeep changed communication protocol between 05 and 06 so I will have some detailed checking to do.
regards
John
Post New Thread  Reply