Radiator thoughts - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 98 Times in 57 Posts
Default Radiator

LOL what a funny reply.

So Redeemer you read me like a book, lucky you seem to have the time to have your vehicles off the road while you pull them apart to measure everything up before buying, then order the part after putting the car back together so you can drive it again while you wait for the part to arrive only to do it again. Lucky you accept when someone advertises a part to fit you allow that it won't unless you've done the homework for the seller. Lucky you know that even after buying it the seller will send you a different one to the one you ordered. How about we all just PM you before we buy anything cause you'll know our circumstances and immediately know what will fit.
I took a chance on one and had nothing but trouble won,t ever buy one off ebay again because the majority won't fit. If they advertised them as fitting with modifications that would be a different story, I'm just trying to save someone else that needs a radiator quickly making the same mistake. Lesson learn. To bad I didn't have the time to methodically go through all the process you do, maybe next time aye.
Old 01-12-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner View Post

If you are going to put in a radiator with more rows, then of course it is going to be larger, the simple fact it is square all round should also set off a lightbulb in you head to say "hey it might not fit OEM spec".

The aluminium radiator should not only cool better, it should also improve flow and last significantly longer. When the homework is done right you can almost triple your cooling capacity and never see the temps go over 91*C even in 40*C ambient temps. You will usually gain a trans cooler as well as part of the radiator.
thx for the taking the time to reply, assisting my homework

valid point on the measurements, as the Ebay units usually have stated dimensions. I do not want one higher or wider!

thing is tho, wouldnt have made gnats piss of dif on Mrs Vz, (for instance) as plastic clips were misaligned about 2mm only

bit cryptic on the research you mentioned, (as per sticky & other threads) opinion varies from insufficient stock cooling from brand new, copper/brass is best, alloy works either great, or is not as thermally conductive and is weak or poorly welded

My reading is having trans fluid via DS heat exchanger is not at all helpful in cases of overheating coolant or trans
Old 01-12-2016
Trail Twister

Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

[QUOTE=

If you are going to put in a radiator with more rows, then of course it is going to be larger, the simple fact it is square all round should also set off a lightbulb in you head to say "hey it might not fit OEM spec".

The aluminium radiator should not only cool better, it should also improve flow and last significantly longer. .[/QUOTE]

Well I had a Radiator in one of my XJ's that had significantly more rows than my heavy duty one in my other XJ. Dimensionally they were the same. I have always had a good run with copper/brass radiators and seen too many early deaths of aluminium ones.
Old 01-12-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 191 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffazoom View Post
LOL what a funny reply.

So Redeemer you read me like a book, lucky you seem to have the time to have your vehicles off the road while you pull them apart to measure everything up before buying, then order the part after putting the car back together so you can drive it again while you wait for the part to arrive only to do it again. Lucky you accept when someone advertises a part to fit you allow that it won't unless you've done the homework for the seller. Lucky you know that even after buying it the seller will send you a different one to the one you ordered. How about we all just PM you before we buy anything cause you'll know our circumstances and immediately know what will fit.
I took a chance on one and had nothing but trouble won,t ever buy one off ebay again because the majority won't fit. If they advertised them as fitting with modifications that would be a different story, I'm just trying to save someone else that needs a radiator quickly making the same mistake. Lesson learn. To bad I didn't have the time to methodically go through all the process you do, maybe next time aye.
lol, if you can't put a tape measure in the engine bay after reading the dimensions on the website for the new radiator without pulling the jeep apart for three days to take the measurements then you are better off driving into a radiator shop and saying "please fix, here is my credit card".....

Your lack of homework being touted as a quality/problem is very misleading and is what I was pointing out, it's not rocket science it just takes you being responsible for what you are buying and doing some measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
thx for the taking the time to reply, assisting my homework

valid point on the measurements, as the Ebay units usually have stated dimensions. I do not want one higher or wider!

thing is tho, wouldnt have made gnats piss of dif on Mrs Vz, (for instance) as plastic clips were misaligned about 2mm only

bit cryptic on the research you mentioned, (as per sticky & other threads) opinion varies from insufficient stock cooling from brand new, copper/brass is best, alloy works either great, or is not as thermally conductive and is weak or poorly welded

My reading is having trans fluid via DS heat exchanger is not at all helpful in cases of overheating coolant or trans
By research I mean do more than spend 10 mins looking on ebay then make a purchase, plenty of people have managed to do it without any issues. Most have issues because, like above, a lack of research is done and the cheapest aluminium radiator they can get their hands on is purchased. Apples with apples gents, copper radiators are $400 plus, most of the XJ radiators that are complained about are $130, hardly a comparison to begin with......

As for a combined trans cooler, well it's certainly better than not having any trans cooling, and it helps get the trans up to temp from cold. If you are overheating the coolant then this is a major problem but you will have much bigger concerns with the damage that it can cause to other things well before you worry about the tans being a little warm from it.

Now pure copper is a better thermal conductor than aluminium, but the copper in a radiator is virtually brass and well short of the thermal conductivity of the aluminium used in most aluminium radiators (even the cheap ones) so you are well ahead on paper, now also add the fact that aluminium is better at transferring heat into air and you take another step in front of the copper radiator, gain a little extra volume and additional fins with more cross flow and now you are miles ahead.
Old 03-12-2016
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

seemed to work for this dude a few fitting issues but ok in the end
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Post New Thread  Reply